The Student Room Group

Help... wrong alevels for medicine

Hey,
So as the title reads I am currently doing bio, history and spanish alevels in year 14 (in Northern Ireland) and I really want to do medicine. I have strong gcses (all A*s/all 9s) and i'm prediced A*A*A. I want to do either chemistry or chemsitry and maths alevels in my gap year but I just dk if I have a chance of getting into medicine. Obviously it is so competitve and already I am at a major disadvantage. My top choice would be Newcastle since they have said they only care about ucat but still idk if I have a realistic chance of getting in. I had depression last year and dropped chem despite it being my best subject at alevel. I feel since it means I probably have no chance at all. Any advice ?
Maybe look at a foundation year.
Reply 2
Original post by MizzyB234
Maybe look at a foundation year.

I have but its mostly for ppl who didn't perform well or are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Manchester has a programme but its acceptance rate is extremely compared to its normal undergrad course and also you'd still have to apply to other unis but thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by oct1234543
Hey,
So as the title reads I am currently doing bio, history and spanish alevels in year 14 (in Northern Ireland) and I really want to do medicine. I have strong gcses (all A*s/all 9s) and i'm prediced A*A*A. I want to do either chemistry or chemsitry and maths alevels in my gap year but I just dk if I have a chance of getting into medicine. Obviously it is so competitve and already I am at a major disadvantage. My top choice would be Newcastle since they have said they only care about ucat but still idk if I have a realistic chance of getting in. I had depression last year and dropped chem despite it being my best subject at alevel. I feel since it means I probably have no chance at all. Any advice ?

You can currently apply to Newcastle and UEA A100 and Manchester and Dundee A104 courses.
I would have thought it made sense to apply for these, but plan for a gap year in case unsuccessful, during which you do chem or maths and you can then reapply to many more med schools (es pecially if you do chemistry)
Reply 4
I have but its mostly for ppl who didn't perform well or are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Manchester has a programme but its acceptance rate is extremely compared to its normal undergrad course and also you'd still have to apply to other unis but thanks for replying :smile:

Surely a low accpetance rate is better than none?
There are a few med schools who will accept u with only Biology A level as a Science
Reply 6
Thanks !

Original post by GANFYD
You can currently apply to Newcastle and UEA A100 and Manchester and Dundee A104 courses.
I would have thought it made sense to apply for these, but plan for a gap year in case unsuccessful, during which you do chem or maths and you can then reapply to many more med schools (es pecially if you do chemistry)
Reply 7
Original post by Dnsnnssn
There are a few med schools who will accept u with only Biology A level as a Science

Yeah but I just want to maximise my chances
Reply 8
`

Original post by GANFYD

Thanks! I am just worried about unis not accepting chem in a gap year since ik quite a lot of unis only accept alevels sat within the 2-year period of alevels.
Reply 9
`

Thanks! I am just worried about unis not accepting chem in a gap year since ik quite a lot of unis only accept alevels sat within the 2-year period of alevels.

As long as you get A/A*AA in your first sitting of 3 A levels, most will accept a further A level (or 2) sat at a different time, though would still want an A/A*
Hey,

Hi @oct1234543

Thank you for your interest in our Medicine and Surgery programme.

In the first stage of our admissions process for Medicine and Surgery we assess whether an applicant’s predicted or achieved grades meet our minimum academic entry requirements, which are:

AAA at A Level in any subjects, excluding the following: General Studies; Use of Mathematics; World Development; Communication and Culture; and Critical Thinking. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A Levels, we require a pass in the practical element. There are no GCSE requirements for this programme.

Once the academic criteria has been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process.

We are confident that, given the quality of the teaching on the MB BS programme, students will assimilate the required knowledge of biology and chemistry whilst studying with us. Bringing a range of non-science-based qualifications to the programme will also help foster a more diverse knowledge base and interest amongst our students.

If the minimum academic requirements are met, then the second step of considering an applicant’s current UCAT score will follow. Please note that the UCAT threshold may differ in each year as it is dependent on the scores achieved by those applicants who have applied in the current application cycle. Details of the UCAT threshold for previous years are available and further information can be found in the MB BS Admissions Policy 2023.

Applicants meeting the UCAT threshold will be sent an automated email inviting them to interview. Some evidence of voluntary work experience in a healthcare or social care setting would be expected from applicants who do not have prior experience as a healthcare professional.

Please note that the information provided is based on 2023 entry, and therefore is subject to change

Hana :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending