The Student Room Group

University of Manchester or the University of Southampton for engineering

Hello all! I got two offers for an undergraduate course in biomedical engineering in both of these universities and im not quite sure which university/area would offer most job opportunities. I know that Manchester is ranked much higher overall but i also know that Southampton is considered much stronger in engineering so its quite a difficult choice. If anyone knows anything in regard to these unis and areas any guidance would be great, Thanks alot!
Original post by Faisalaltaher
Hello all! I got two offers for an undergraduate course in biomedical engineering in both of these universities and im not quite sure which university/area would offer most job opportunities. I know that Manchester is ranked much higher overall but i also know that Southampton is considered much stronger in engineering so its quite a difficult choice. If anyone knows anything in regard to these unis and areas any guidance would be great, Thanks alot!

Hi! Congrats on both your offers! I applied to Southampton too for engineering (civil and architecture). From what I’ve heard, Southampton is stronger for engineering , but Manchester is much higher ranked overall. However, when you go subject specific, Southampton is far higher than Manchester, at least for civil engineering. I checked for your course, and it’s a lot higher ranked (Southampton). I’d say it’s up to you which one you like more. Both are great unis so it depends what course you like better, area etc
If it was me, I’d choose Southampton - but then again I’m biased lol
Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for your response, for some reason I also feel as though Southampton just has a special place in my heart and I just can't seem to choose Manchester over it. Could you maybe tell me why you would prefer Southampton?
Original post by Faisalaltaher
Thank you so much for your response, for some reason I also feel as though Southampton just has a special place in my heart and I just can't seem to choose Manchester over it. Could you maybe tell me why you would prefer Southampton?

Of course ! It does the course not many unis over here do which is civil and architecture. I really like the vibe of the place and all the history around it. I haven’t been there yet, but I’m going next week so hopefully I can give a more accurate judgement! But it’s like a small town and big city at the same time, so you could get the home like community. It’s close to places like London (1h 20) and other neighbouring cities like Portsmouth, Isle of Wight etc so there’s always something to do.
I love how it’s by the coast as well, and it has things I want to do such as Jane Austen trail and house, titanic museum, coffee shops etc
I feel like I’d really fit in there, plus I personally dont really like up north, don’t know why lol
Overall, it’s sort of like everything I want in a uni, alongside doing my dream course as I was so stuck between civil and architecture
Let me know if you need more info, hope that helps !

Quick Reply

Latest