The Student Room Group

Which should I choose: University of Exeter or University of Essex?

Hello to all!

I have two unconditional offers, either to study on the MSc Social Data Science program at the University of Exeter or the MSc Social Data Science program at the University of Essex.

I am not from the UK and the truth is that both programs are very appealing to me.

What interests me most is to go to a university where I will really learn.

Any advice or additional information you may have would be of great help to me in making a decision.

Thank you!
Exeter is usually seen as the better university, but this is a postgraduate programme, so I really don't think it will make a lot of difference. Unless you are planning on staying for doctoral school, I also don't think it matters too much who the teaching staff are.

Essex is probably going to be slightly easier logistically as it's nearer London - Exeter is 200 miles from London if you're travelling from abroad. Exeter is probably the nicer place to live but there really isn't much in it.
In term of ranking (QS, USNews, etc), Exeter is a lot better than Essex. However, personally i will not consider either of them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Roger Chavarría
Hello to all!

I have two unconditional offers, either to study on the MSc Social Data Science program at the University of Exeter or the MSc Social Data Science program at the University of Essex.

I am not from the UK and the truth is that both programs are very appealing to me.

What interests me most is to go to a university where I will really learn.

Any advice or additional information you may have would be of great help to me in making a decision.

Thank you!

Hey @Roger Chavarría

Congratulations on your unconditional offers that's great news!
Is there anything you'd like to know about Essex in particular?

We're a campus uni meaning everything is all located in one area. Lots of cafés and food hubs and the 24 hour library and student spaces with a dedicated postgraduate study reading room in the library where you can study with your peers without all the chatty undergrads getting in the way 😄
If you do decide on a break from study and want to explore the country a little, Colchester is on the Norwich to London train line and we're just an hour from London Liverpool Street.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending