The Student Room Group

When should I open my student bank account for university loans?

I’m in Year 13 and in 17. I have gotten 4 of my 5 offers so far so I’m thinking about opening bank account because I don’t have one. When should I open it so that I can apply for student finance?
I would wait until you turn 18 because you cannot apply for an overdraft until you turn 18
Original post by Cupcakes12
I would wait until you turn 18 because you cannot apply for an overdraft until you turn 18

I will be turning 18 in June, will it be too late to do it then or is it fine to do it before results day?
Original post by Neymarswho1730
I will be turning 18 in June, will it be too late to do it then or is it fine to do it before results day?

You typically can't open a "student" account until after you have a confirmed place at university; so in general that's after A-level results day.

But there's nothing to stop you opening a "young persons" bank account now (for example, Santander have their "1|2|3 Mini Current Account" for 13-17 year olds; and Barclays a "Young Person’s Account" for 16-18 year olds; other banks will have similar products) , and then transfer that to be a student account once your place at university is confirmed.
Original post by martin7
You typically can't open a "student" account until after you have a confirmed place at university; so in general that's after A-level results day.

But there's nothing to stop you opening a "young persons" bank account now (for example, Santander have their "1|2|3 Mini Current Account" for 13-17 year olds; and Barclays a "Young Person’s Account" for 16-18 year olds; other banks will have similar products) , and then transfer that to be a student account once your place at university is confirmed.

Hi sorry for the late response but is it worth opening a child account when I’m so close to turning 18 by which I’ll have to get an adult account anyways?
Hi sorry for the late response but is it worth opening a child account when I’m so close to turning 18 by which I’ll have to get an adult account anyways?

If you need a bank account now, then it is worth opening one. If you don't, then wait. Sometimes the incentives offered with student bank accounts (eg Santander's free railcard), aren't available to existing customers so be careful where you open an account.

It's worth checking to see what the Ts&Cs for the child/young persons account say about what happens when you turn 18. It may be that the account simply turns into an adult account at that point

@normaw makes a good point about the incentives that come with a student account. One of the reasons why banks offer these incentives is to attract new customers -- so sometimes they're not available to existing customers.
Original post by normaw
If you need a bank account now, then it is worth opening one. If you don't, then wait. Sometimes the incentives offered with student bank accounts (eg Santander's free railcard), aren't available to existing customers so be careful where you open an account.

I’m thinking of opening one now because I just submitted my SFE application and isn’t there a deadline to put bank details on the account?
I’m thinking of opening one now because I just submitted my SFE application and isn’t there a deadline to put bank details on the account?

You can leave the bank details empty for now and add them once you have your student account. There is time to add bank details (and course details if you don't make your firm choice) between results day and when courses start.
Hi there :smile:

I would advise waiting until you turn 18 to open a student bank account if you can. This will allow you to apply for an overdraft and have access to incentives. I would recommend looking through the different options of banks and making your decision based on which incentive is better suited for you. For example I chose to open a student bank account with Santander because they gave me a railcard for 4 years which has given me massive discounts when travelling to and from uni. Don't worry about your SFE application, you can leave the bank details empty for now and add them once you have your student account. There is plenty of time to open a student account between you turning 18 and starting your course. I would focus on applying for SFE right now as it can take quite a long time to hear back from them. Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Original post by normaw
You can leave the bank details empty for now and add them once you have your student account. There is time to add bank details (and course details if you don't make your firm choice) between results day and when courses start.

Oh good to know, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending