The Student Room Group

What to do??

So iv been offered a job with an agency as a carer going to different care homes.
But I have to do 21 courses but iv done some of them before but can't find the certificates for them.
So there making me do it again but I don't wanna.
Also they want me to get an enhanced dbs check.
But iv had a basic one before which has nothing on it.
But iv been in trouble with the police and social services before so m worried that it'll show up on this one and stop me from getting the job.
I do need a job but haven't had any luck with others.
But it'll take me ages to do all of these courses and can't start until iv done all of these things.
Also Iv been told that carer job is hard cos have to lift heavy people.
So what should I do??
Original post by cherlloydfan1
So iv been offered a job with an agency as a carer going to different care homes.
But I have to do 21 courses but iv done some of them before but can't find the certificates for them.
So there making me do it again but I don't wanna.
Also they want me to get an enhanced dbs check.
But iv had a basic one before which has nothing on it.
But iv been in trouble with the police and social services before so m worried that it'll show up on this one and stop me from getting the job.
I do need a job but haven't had any luck with others.
But it'll take me ages to do all of these courses and can't start until iv done all of these things.
Also Iv been told that carer job is hard cos have to lift heavy people.
So what should I do??

Given you history with holding onto a job ("I was working as a customer service advisor for UC for a month but wasn't doing well in it so I quit" and "I also left Greggs after a month of working there" - both mentioned on this thread - and your concern at that time that "I'm worried that m never gonna get another job now"), it sounds like you shouldn't casually dismiss this opportunity.

With regards to the missing certificates, have you contacted the exam board concerned to request replacements? If you can source then that way, it'd safe the hassle of having to re-do the courses. (Which clearly you don't want to do.)

The Enhanced DBS check might contain information from the police (although not social services) as it contains "non-conviction information supplied by relevant police forces, if it is deemed relevant". It is not clear how the decision is taken with regards to it being relevant or not. Wouldn't it be useful to know what information is revealed via an Enhanced DBS check? If it's clear, then you know you don't need to be concerned about the fact that you've "been in trouble with the police and social services before". Similarly, if it's it's not clear you know that too, so you know not to apply for jobs where an Enhanced DBS check is required. Not moving forward with a job opportunity because of what you guess might be revealed seems like you're potentially looking for an excuse to not take this job. Is that what's happening here?

With regards to "lift heavy people", carers should never attempt to manually lift any person without the proper equipment (hoists, lifting cushions and other liftings aids), and the majority of that equipment is not intended to be use single-handed. Don't get me wrong, even using this equipment it might be a strenuous to lift a patient, or reposition heavy residents - but it's not like you're going to be expected to so this alone or unaided.

Finally, do you actually want this job? All of the above sound like excuses not to proceed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending