The Student Room Group

is it worth going to jobcentre?

Hi guys,

need some advice on the jobcentre. I graduated from uni last year and have found it difficult finding any stable full time employment, I've applied to lots of jobs, been to many interviews, tailored CV etc.

My work experience isn't great, I have had a serious health issue for past few years that knocked my confidence and stopped me working so was only to casual part time work and graduating uni was a massive achievement in itself for me.

Is it worth me going to the job centre? Do they help people find entry level/ graduate friendly roles and guide them? I have no intention of claiming JSA so will they still help me find work even if not claiming benefits?

thanks
why won't you claim JSA? It builds up NI credits which you will need for a state pension when you retire
Reply 2
I am aware that JSA helps build NI credits but my main objective is to find stable employment and JSA won't help me solve that and my question is whether or not the jobcentre will genuinely help me with that?
Original post by Amiit10
I am aware that JSA helps build NI credits but my main objective is to find stable employment and JSA won't help me solve that and my question is whether or not the jobcentre will genuinely help me with that?

You still get money though until you find a job (as well as the other stuff).
JSA isnt going to hinder you getting a job or anything.

With regards to the job centre, go and give them a try. See what they can do. The worst they can say is no. They might actually be quite useful.
Original post by Amiit10

As above, it's still useful to claim - you will need to pay to attend interviews, buy interview clothes, etc, and it is useful to have that to support you. Plus the NI credits is a non-trivial benefit of that. Also certain kinds of support they can provide for getting you a job they just offer to those who have been claiming JSA for over a certain amount of time and haven't been able to get a job during that time. To be honest I think a lot of their support is aimed at JSA claimants - it's not a free cheque and it's not some kind of "benefit scrounging", it's an allowance to support you in seeking a job, and signing on for JSA necessarily signs up on for the other kinds of support they offer.

In any case, I would recommend going there and discussing with them. They can tell you what kind of support they can provide and whether that is or isn't contingent on signing on for JSA and then you can make an informed decision that way.
Reply 5
I registered for JSA when I was between jobs and had a look at what Job Centre Plus offers. They assign you a ‘Coach’ to signpost what’s available and of course to keep a bit of pressure on you to apply for things. I actually quite liked the woman that was assigned to help me, although the support is quite limited. You have access to an online job board similar to indeed and there are various workshops available like interview skills. You could also consider the National Careers Service. I was able to sort out a face to face meeting with one of their 3rd party careers advise service and got very professional help with career change options and tailoring my CV. Not sure if JSA will assign you a coach if your not claiming benefits (although I think you should consider a claim) but I don’t see why they shouldn’t

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending