The Student Room Group

Worried about university grades

Hi! I’m a first year student studying theology. I’m pretty sure that I’ll want to do a postgraduate degree after my undergrad, but I’m worried I’ve already messed up my grades significantly. In all of my essay-based modules I have been achieving 70+, which I’m really happy with, however in Latin I’m pretty sure I’m going to fail the module. If I re-sit it my grade will be capped at 40 and I’ll probably end up with a low 2:1 overall at best. How much will this impact me when applying for masters degrees, particularly at top universities?
Thanks
Original post by rosacherry
Hi! I’m a first year student studying theology. I’m pretty sure that I’ll want to do a postgraduate degree after my undergrad, but I’m worried I’ve already messed up my grades significantly. In all of my essay-based modules I have been achieving 70+, which I’m really happy with, however in Latin I’m pretty sure I’m going to fail the module. If I re-sit it my grade will be capped at 40 and I’ll probably end up with a low 2:1 overall at best. How much will this impact me when applying for masters degrees, particularly at top universities?
Thanks

Hi @rosacherry,

The majority of universities use a weighted average of your second and third year grades to give your final degree classification, discounting first year marks altogether (although you do still have to pass your first year, obviously). However, different universities do calculate your final degree grade in different ways. Some programmes do take first year grades into account so it's worth double-checking how exactly your final degree classification will be calculated.

Most universities publish details of how they calculate final degree grades on their website but, if you're unsure, the Student Services/Support team and/or your academic mentor/personal tutor should be able to advise you on this.

Even if your first year grades do count, I wouldn't be too concerned if it's just the one module. A strong performance across your second and third years will do a lot to cancel out the impact of one first year grade (as second and third year modules tend to be weighted more heavily in any calculations). I got a 2:2 on one of my second year modules and clawed it back to come out with a first overall (although I did have to really work for it in my final year!). I've since gone on to undertake a Masters and secure a place on a fully-funded PhD programme.

If you're really keen to progress onto further study, start working with your tutors (and any available support services such as Study Skills, Careers etc.) now. Not only can they help your academic development but they can point you in the direction of opportunities beyond your course that will bolster an MA application.

It also pays to pick any optional modules carefully, especially in your final year. Learning new skills is fantastic - and an important part of university - but you might, for example, want to pick modules that place more weight upon known methods of assessment as you progress through your degree programme. Again, your course tutors and personal tutor should be able to advise you on this.

Hope that helps to offer some reassurance and good luck with the rest of your degree programme!

Amy Louise
Student Ambassador, Keele University
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending