The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough or Exeter University

Ive narrowed my university choices down to two and im either thinking of going to Loughborough university or Exeter university for mechanical engineering, ive been to both unis and i like them both does anyone have any student insight into either that could help me sway my judgement for which i pick as my primary choice and my insurance choice.
Original post by SnowyHornet
Ive narrowed my university choices down to two and im either thinking of going to Loughborough university or Exeter university for mechanical engineering, ive been to both unis and i like them both does anyone have any student insight into either that could help me sway my judgement for which i pick as my primary choice and my insurance choice.

The following is not student insight, but...

Are they both looking for AAB? If so, firm Loughborough and insure Exeter.

That's purely based on what The Uni Guide says about the typical grades of current students. For Loughborough it's AAA (source), whilst for Exeter it's ABB (source). This suggests that Exeter would be more flexible if you were to just miss your entry grades.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by DataVenia
The following is not student insight, but...

Are they both looking for AAB? If so, firm Loughborough and insure Exeter.

That's purely based on what The Uni Guide says about the typical grades of current students. For Loughborough it's AAA (source), whilst for Exeter it's ABB (source). This suggests that Exeter would be more flexible if you were to just miss your entry grades.

Yea they are both after AAB

Both are good options - are you opting for a year in industry? Are both courses accredited?
Original post by Muttley79
Both are good options - are you opting for a year in industry? Are both courses accredited?

Both the courses are accredited, I'm going to look at the year in industry after ive started at the university as I know its an easy change to add while you are there
Both the courses are accredited, I'm going to look at the year in industry after ive started at the university as I know its an easy change to add while you are there

Do check - in some unis they advise the reverse. Start with placement option and opt out if you change your mind.
Exeter engineering is not that competitive, they take just about anyone with a pulse, or at least did when I was there. They also regularly take people with several grades lower than their "standard" entry criteria on results day (they actually inflate their "standard" entry criteria on the website to appear more selective than they are - they have over a 90% offer rate). Much better as an insurance than a firm, since they're also not that strong for engineering in general. One of the lecturers there told me she was shocked how poor the incoming students background knowledge in maths and the sciences were, relative to the uni's posturing of itself as an "elite" university.

Loughborough is pretty well regarded for engineering on the other hand and generally is considered to do well placing graduates in industry, so a pretty good option. Would echo the above and recommend using it as a firm choice out of the two.
Original post by artful_lounger
Exeter engineering is not that competitive, they take just about anyone with a pulse, or at least did when I was there. They also regularly take people with several grades lower than their "standard" entry criteria on results day (they actually inflate their "standard" entry criteria on the website to appear more selective than they are - they have over a 90% offer rate). Much better as an insurance than a firm, since they're also not that strong for engineering in general. One of the lecturers there told me she was shocked how poor the incoming students background knowledge in maths and the sciences were, relative to the uni's posturing of itself as an "elite" university.

Loughborough is pretty well regarded for engineering on the other hand and generally is considered to do well placing graduates in industry, so a pretty good option. Would echo the above and recommend using it as a firm choice out of the two.

That suprises me, as Exeter is ranked higher for mechanical engineering than Loughborough is
That suprises me, as Exeter is ranked higher for mechanical engineering than Loughborough is

By whom? Surprises me but I might be out of date.

And next year they may well be reversed...and the following both may be ranked last...league table rankings are almost completely meaningless in general terms. They're designed to sell newspapers (or clicks) to school leavers, their parents, and their school UCAS counsellors...

In my opinion, they're only useful when used very carefully and specifically to look at specific criteria they rank after considering the methodology used to rank that criterion and how unis may act to influence that (or whether they decide not to). If there is a specific, objectively measurable criteria used to rank the two which is important to you then it's reasonable to compare the two. For example, student satisfaction based on NSS outcomes or something. Then you just need to consider the methodology of the NSS and any issues in using that as a consideration.

Beware of advice from people that went to Exeter ages ago and left before completing the course.

Exeter is a nicer place to live if you can't choose between the two courses.
Original post by Muttley79
Do check - in some unis they advise the reverse. Start with placement option and opt out if you change your mind.

Ive already had my offer for without the year in industry, and for the open days ive been to they said its fine to change mid way for exeter and loughborough
Ive already had my offer for without the year in industry, and for the open days ive been to they said its fine to change mid way for exeter and loughborough

That's fine then :smile:

Hi @SnowyHornet

It's great to hear you're thinking about studying at Loughborough!

I would take a look at the course page again for mechanical engineering for both Loughborough and Exeter and if you go to the what I'll study section on the Loughborough page you'll be able to see the modules you would be studying and see if anything interests you in particular. It may also be helpful to take a look at the your future career section and see what graduates from this course have gone on to do and where.

I'm in my first year at Loughborough and I have to say the student experience has been even better than I thought. There's always lots to do on campus like going to the events put on by the Union, watching the Loughborough first teams play, getting involved in societies or getting involved in playing sport yourself. I've also been presented with some amazing opportunities for example this summer through the uni me and my friends are going on a road trip to Dubrovnik for charity which is something I never would have been able to do otherwise!

Loughborough is a small market town so can't offer what a city can but it's so easy to get to Leicester or Nottingham by bus or by train that if you want more of a city feel you can just go over there. Because Loughborough is a campus in a small town, I've found there's a great community feel that extends from the campus to the town and when you go out you always bump into someone you know which is really nice so it really does feel like a uni town.

I'd say the most important thing is to choose somewhere where you can see yourself living and studying for the next 3+ years as it's just as important to choose somewhere where you'll be happy as well as how good the course is.

I hope this helpful and if you have any other questions just let us know :smile:

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending