The Student Room Group

Loughborough or Exeter for postgraduate

I have offers from both Loughborough and Exeter for a masters in Finance and management. Loughborough is ranked higher (4th in guardian, 6th in complete university guide) but from what I've heard Exeter is far more prestigious especially and has better brand recognition amongst employers. I aim to work in a boutique hedge fund or investment bank after, thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by AANN99
I have offers from both Loughborough and Exeter for a masters in Finance and management. Loughborough is ranked higher (4th in guardian, 6th in complete university guide) but from what I've heard Exeter is far more prestigious especially and has better brand recognition amongst employers. I aim to work in a boutique hedge fund or investment bank after, thoughts?

Hi mate, did you decide which one to get into? as i am in the same boat. what is your experience when talking to employers, which uni would you recommend? i am going to study finance and econ masters at either of the two, so which one would you choose
Original post by Raquayza
Hi mate, did you decide which one to get into? as i am in the same boat. what is your experience when talking to employers, which uni would you recommend? i am going to study finance and econ masters at either of the two, so which one would you choose

Hi @Raquayza

It's great to hear you're thinking of coming to Loughborough!

I know that it can be tough to choose a university to go to. If you visit our MSc Economics and Finance course page, you will be able to see the modules you would be studying, rankings and careers information, which may help you with making a decision.

I would also visit this page on our School of Business and Economics to find out more about the department that manages this course.

Other than this, I would consider the location of both the universities as they are in very separate areas of the UK with different cities near them. I can't comment much on the transport links to Exeter but I've never had a problem getting anywhere from Loughborough. We're only a 10 minute train ride away from Leicester and not much further from Nottingham. It only takes around an hour and a half to get to London (depending on the train you get) and I know there are also coaches that you can use to get to London and also north of Loughborough. There is even an airport close by!

You should also take a look at the campuses and see if you like one over the other more. I'm a current undergraduate here at Loughborough and it really helped me to take a look at the campuses of the universities I was considering and was one of the reasons I chose to come to here.

Finally, I would take a look at accommodation options and the social activities that each university provides. Perhaps there is an interest or a hobby that you have and you would like to continue it or you want to try something new. You can see what societies or sports each university has to get involved in beforehand.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please let us know :smile:

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending