The Student Room Group

exam results reward

okay so some of my friends are getting payed like £50 for every grade 6 and above they get and that to me is CRAZYYY. i’m predicted all 8s and 9s and my reward is like a hug lmao. last year (i sat my RS gcse a year early in y10) i got a 9 and my reward was a coffee 😭

btw i don’t think i am entitled to a reward, i actually think the concept of rewards for exam results is a bit crazy. so yes, please don’t take this post as a “i’m so mad i don’t get payed” because that is not at ALL the case. just curious to others situations :smile:
I got straight 8s and 9s and didn’t get anything physical. My parents were proud and told some of their friends my grades. The people I know that got paid were those who would only put effort in if they got something like money as a reward. Those who work hard and care regardless of money are those who rarely get offered money.
I'm getting all A*s at a level, and my parents don't care or give me rewards. But I don't care; the results I get will be my prize for my hard work. Some people just need motivation to get higher grades; I don't get why you would be jealous.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by evajess13
okay so some of my friends are getting payed like £50 for every grade 6 and above they get and that to me is CRAZYYY. i’m predicted all 8s and 9s and my reward is like a hug lmao. last year (i sat my RS gcse a year early in y10) i got a 9 and my reward was a coffee 😭

btw i don’t think i am entitled to a reward, i actually think the concept of rewards for exam results is a bit crazy. so yes, please don’t take this post as a “i’m so mad i don’t get payed” because that is not at ALL the case. just curious to others situations :smile:

It's an unrealistic reward, because in university exams and other professional exams, you won't be rewarded with money for high results.

But it's understandable
We gave some money but not an insane amount.
Daughter did 8 subejcts in total. I think she got something like £80 overall (she didn't do them all at the same time so it was in bits) plus we paid for her ears to be pierced.

When I did my GCSEs my mother wasn't particularly impressed with my results so no monetary reward, but she did begrudgingly allow me to install the CompuServe disc so we could get dial up internet at home, which I was delighted about.

Personally I'm more bothered about my kids putting in effort than I am about the grades.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lanky_giraffe
I'm getting all A*s at a level, and my parents don't care or give me rewards. But I don't care; the results I get will be my prize for my hard work. Some people just need motivation to get higher grades; I don't get why you would be jealous.

oh no im not jealous i dont at all expect a reward, was just curious about others situation!
Original post by evajess13

Any reward should be for effort not grades ... some people struggle to get a grade 4.
Reply 7
i got an iphone in year 8 (after years of begging)
but after that it’s been ‘you can do better’ for the 8s that weren’t 9s and the As that aren’t A*s💀
Reply 8
I'm predicted 8s and 9s and if I get one 8 and the rest 9s, I'm finally going to get an ipad, but I'm only allowed to get one 8 (hopefully maths 😭😭). I've been begging for years so honestly it makes me want to revise more because I'm the type of person who overestimates their ability and tends to leave things till the last minute "because I probably already know it". My biggest motivation though, is imagining all my friends and teachers around me, watching me open my results and get 9s.

Quick Reply

Latest