The Student Room Group

A level option

Is A-level English lit anything like gcse
Original post by io432
Is A-level English lit anything like gcse

It is similar in terms of the essays and books and stuff, but (Im doing edexcel btw) you have to do coursework, and the essays are of a much higher quality. The hardest part for me was the AO5, in edexcel specifically, for your shakespeare text, you have to find other readers interpretations and quote them in your essays. I have memory issues due to my medication so this part is especially hard for me. Some upsides is that you get the texts in the exam so you dont have to worry so much about forgetting quotes! There is also a lot more comparison between texts; I remember for GCSE i did three texts and poetry comparison and this was it, but in A-Level you have to do 3 singular texts (I did the importance of being earnest, Wife of Bath and Hamlet) then you have to compare 2 (I did The Little Stranger and Dracula), and then poetry (comparing an unseen with 1 of 20 poems), and then comparing 2 for coursework (I did revolutionary road and the On Chesil beach [i picked ocb myself0, which is a lot more!!Overall of you enjoy GCSE you will most likely enjoy A-Level, but be prepared for the reading and it is a lot more work!!
Reply 2
Original post by beefreya
It is similar in terms of the essays and books and stuff, but (Im doing edexcel btw) you have to do coursework, and the essays are of a much higher quality. The hardest part for me was the AO5, in edexcel specifically, for your shakespeare text, you have to find other readers interpretations and quote them in your essays. I have memory issues due to my medication so this part is especially hard for me. Some upsides is that you get the texts in the exam so you dont have to worry so much about forgetting quotes! There is also a lot more comparison between texts; I remember for GCSE i did three texts and poetry comparison and this was it, but in A-Level you have to do 3 singular texts (I did the importance of being earnest, Wife of Bath and Hamlet) then you have to compare 2 (I did The Little Stranger and Dracula), and then poetry (comparing an unseen with 1 of 20 poems), and then comparing 2 for coursework (I did revolutionary road and the On Chesil beach [i picked ocb myself0, which is a lot more!!Overall of you enjoy GCSE you will most likely enjoy A-Level, but be prepared for the reading and it is a lot more work!!

thank you that helped alot.

Quick Reply

Latest