The Student Room Group

Part-time work; when do I start looking?

Hello, all

I’m going to get a part-time job to keep myself occupied between finishing college and starting university.

When on earth do I start looking/apply? Should I start shopping around now, or should I wait until I finish my A-levels in late June? :smile:
I'd start now potentially, maybe by mid May. By the time they review your application, shortlist, interview, make a decision then get all the paperwork filled out, inductions if applicable etc it can take a while. If they say you're too early they may tell you when to apply.
Original post by blue_dalmatian
Hello, all

I’m going to get a part-time job to keep myself occupied between finishing college and starting university.

When on earth do I start looking/apply? Should I start shopping around now, or should I wait until I finish my A-levels in late June? :smile:

I would start now personally a lot of positions and vacancy will open up now that Easter complete especially summer temp jobs it really depends the type of job your looking for, sector and location but I would definitely keep my options open by applying wishing you best of success and luck in your interviews and taking it from there ensuring it’s a well paid job and hours you can commit to and show your flexibility.
Original post by RambleAmple
I'd start now potentially, maybe by mid May. By the time they review your application, shortlist, interview, make a decision then get all the paperwork filled out, inductions if applicable etc it can take a while. If they say you're too early they may tell you when to apply.

Thank you for the advice. I’m mainly worried about running the risk of trying to juggle applications in the middle of my A-Levels/ending up with a start date for a role during the exam period 😬
Original post by Mohammed_80
I would start now personally a lot of positions and vacancy will open up now that Easter complete especially summer temp jobs it really depends the type of job your looking for, sector and location but I would definitely keep my options open by applying wishing you best of success and luck in your interviews and taking it from there ensuring it’s a well paid job and hours you can commit to and show your flexibility.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by blue_dalmatian
Thank you for the advice. I’m mainly worried about running the risk of trying to juggle applications in the middle of my A-Levels/ending up with a start date for a role during the exam period 😬

You can be strict in telling them you won't be starting before x date, and if they need you before then take it as holiday/unpaid leave. Applications could be hard in the middle of A Levels but tbh I usually mass apply with 1 CV and then it's just interviews etc but you can pick and choose what's most appropriate. Issue is applying after A Levels a lot of the roles will likely already be filled and as I said, setting you up as an employee before you can actually start can take quite a while for some companies - and especially as you are only there temporarily they'd probably rather you hit the ground running asap after exams than waiting the few weeks after and being later on in the summer so you can work less time etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending