The Student Room Group

How to revise?

I really just need some tips for revising I am picking my options now (i'm in year 9) and need to prepare for gcse. thanks
Original post by StingRay66
I really just need some tips for revising I am picking my options now (i'm in year 9) and need to prepare for gcse. thanks

Your in year 9? You don't need to start revising for another 2 years :smile:
Reply 2
Relax, you dont need to stress from now. Even for your options, pick what you enjoy. Your first year in gcse isnt gonna be as serious as your second year. My only ‘tip’ is that when next year starts, dont take everything in all at once. Dont start too early nor leave off everything last-minute. Theres a reason gcses are a two-year thing. Learn everything bit by bit and understand it fully.

But for now you really dont need to touch a book, youll be more than fine, just enjoy your summer.
Original post by propergoodman
Your in year 9? You don't need to start revising for another 2 years :smile:

you need to get practise with revising, before then, so then it is easier to revise when it really matters.

I wouldn't worry about revising content for your GCSE options just yet, but I would start revising for tests that you may have coming up, that may or may not be to do with a GCSE course. I would recommend using active recall, by using flashcards and blurting, and maybe do some practise questions if they are relevant, although they be harder to come by as you are unlikely to have to started all of your GCSE courses.
Thanks everybody for the advice. I'm just trying to find some ways to revise that best fit me so I can be prepared for any future tests/exams and not just for Gcses. However it is good to have a good revision technique before that.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks evverybody for the advice. I'm just trying to find some ways to revise that best fit me so I can be prepared for any future tets/exams.

the best way to do this is to try things. Year 9 is not important in the long run. The content isn't even on your GCSEs. Try lots of different methods to study, and see what you do best in. For example try practice papers for math, but flashcards for biology. if you do super in biology but trash in maths you know flashcards work for you and whole papers dont.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
the best way to do this is to try things. Year 9 is not important in the long run. The content isn't even on your GCSEs. Try lots of different methods to study, and see what you do best in. For example try practice papers for math, but flashcards for biology. if you do super in biology but trash in maths you know flashcards work for you and whole papers dont.

that is a good start, but you may also find different revision techniques work better for different subjects
Original post by CatInTheCorner

Thanks for the advice. If I were to do the technique you just told me I would proably do it on self-examined papers as the ones we are going to do this summer at school will determin sets and for science it will contribute to if I'll do triple science or not. Thanks again.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by flowersinmyhair
that is a good start, but you may also find different revision techniques work better for different subjects

yep ofc, much agreed, I just think OP needs a start. If we say try lots of techniques and try them on all subjects since some work for one and not another, they'll get a bit overwhelmed.

Quick Reply

Latest