The Student Room Group

Do you have to do PE for GCSE?

I'm in Year 10 at the moment and haven't been doing pe as the kids in there are all bullies and id rather not have them constantly making fun of me. So i wanted to ask if PE is really needed to be done. Like do you get a gcse for it even though I didn't pick it and could I do something else in the time of the pe lesson like study for my other subjects.
You won't get a GCSE for doing regular lessons, your school may offer a GCSE in PE but that would be separate. I believe it is required by the government however, that secondary school students have a certain number of PE lessons to encourage physical activity.
Original post by Alex29ander
I'm in Year 10 at the moment and haven't been doing pe as the kids in there are all bullies and id rather not have them constantly making fun of me. So i wanted to ask if PE is really needed to be done. Like do you get a gcse for it even though I didn't pick it and could I do something else in the time of the pe lesson like study for my other subjects.

I don't do GCSE PE but do a Cambridge Nationals (CNAT) in Sport Science which has very similar content compared to GCSE PE but it contains way more coursework as it makes 60% of the final grade. It is OCR.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
You won't get a GCSE for doing regular lessons, your school may offer a GCSE in PE but that would be separate. I believe it is required by the government however, that secondary school students have a certain number of PE lessons to encourage physical activity.

What would happen if i refused to attend PE but want to do revision in another class like if i wanted to practice more spanish.
No my school forces me to do one pe lesson a week at year 10 so what would happen if i didnt attend as i never chose it as a gcse but it is compulsary by the government.

Original post by propergoodman
I don't do GCSE PE but do a Cambridge Nationals (CNAT) in Sport Science which has very similar content compared to GCSE PE but it contains way more coursework as it makes 60% of the final grade. It is OCR.

Schools usually make you do PE and Y10&Y11 but they don't make you do the GCSE in it usually.

I have seen some people on here say that they were forced to do GCSE PE (where do the exams and everything) though but that's very rare I think.
As above you have to do some kind of physical education as part of the national curriculum, but not necessarily a GCSE in it.

Unless you're my old school which decided because it was a "sports college" it would force everyone in my year to do GCSE PE as a trial (which went about as well as expected...).
What would happen if i refused to attend PE but want to do revision in another class like if i wanted to practice more spanish.

Your school may allow you to given your situation, however they should deal with the bullying. It would depend on the school, but I know the school I attended almost certainly wouldn't allow you to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest