The Student Room Group

Do unis accept 4 A levels in one year and another A Level in the next?

16 Year 12 Biology Chemistry Physics and Mathematics (predicted As in all 4 at the moment) heavily considering doing further maths a level (9 in gcse maths) when I'm 18 to help application in uni mathematics chemistry physics or engineering degree (I hope Oxford or Cambridge but dont really mind which uni) instead of compensating with volunteering, passion blablabla in ucas application but i spoke to a Cambridge ambassador today at a tour and they said they wouldn't care about the further maths a level if I didn't take it at the same time as the other 4 because it doesn't show competence in being able to take on a large study demand is this true for all unis or just Cambridge?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Even if you spoke as you say, to a Cambridge ambassador, you STILL need to show 'passion' for the subject you are applying for in your application and if successful, at interview. It's not 'either or', it's both.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ashton435532
16 Year 12 Biology Chemistry Physics and Mathematics (predicted As in all 4 at the moment) heavily considering doing further maths a level (9 in gcse maths) when I'm 18 to help application in uni mathematics chemistry physics or engineering degree (I hope Oxford or Cambridge but dont really mind which uni) instead of compensating with volunteering, passion blablabla in ucas application but i spoke to a Cambridge ambassador today at a tour and they said they wouldn't care about the further maths a level if I didn't take it at the same time as the other 4 because it doesn't show competence in being able to take on a large study demand is this true for all unis or just Cambridge?

no-one needs 5 A levels ...drop Biology and start FMaths now

I suggest you drop Biology.

If you can take at least 3 A-levels in one year, why do you need another one? Cambridge wants A-levels to be taken at the same time, within two years anyway.

I agree with the ambassador. Part of the reason 4 is impressive is because you've balanced the workload. Additionally, they'd MUCH RATHER you had 3 very good a levels (especially don't consider 5 if you only have As in 4 as this is not enough - and a levels get harder in year 13) and have a personal statement full of passion (blablabla 🤔) and have done loads of wider reading etc (though don't worry about volunteering)
So long as you have the right a levels and grades, they don't care much about a levels at all, as everyone has the same grades so this doesn't distinguish applicants at all. What distinguishes you is passion and having explored the subject further (they'd far rather you explored a topic you are passionate about in detail than just show you can learn and regurgitate the narrow content provided in an a level). They like to know how you go about exploring a topic you like, and what about it inspires you. Focus on getting A*s and really having lots of good supercurriculars. They don't care that much about 4, let alone 5

Grades trump number of A levels. You need to get A*s, so if that means dropping one or two subjects, then that's what you should do. Only 3 A levels are necessary for Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending