The Student Room Group

First year workload

Hiya just wanted to get some advice.

Currently in my first year of medical school and it's gone well so far, I've enjoyed the course and did well on my mid terms. With the end of year summative assessments coming up I was just wondering if I was putting in the right amount of work as everyone else. My peers always tend to be studying like 4-6 hours a day and I usually just do around 2 hours a day of self study on top of attending lectures. I was just wondering if maybe I should put more hours of revision in? I feel like I do enough now, but I do tend to get distracted and I do go out quite frequently. I understand the content will be harder in year 2 and 3 so I want to get into good habits now and just wanted some advice.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous

Currently in my first year of medical school and it's gone well so far, I've enjoyed the course and did well on my mid terms. With the end of year summative assessments coming up I was just wondering if I was putting in the right amount of work as everyone else. My peers always tend to be studying like 4-6 hours a day and I usually just do around 2 hours a day of self study on top of attending lectures. I was just wondering if maybe I should put more hours of revision in? I feel like I do enough now, but I do tend to get distracted and I do go out quite frequently. I understand the content will be harder in year 2 and 3 so I want to get into good habits now and just wanted some advice.

Thanks

Ignore what other people are doing in terms of length. Find the method of study that works for you (notes, flash cards etc) and stick with it. Spending 4-6 hours isn’t always efficient nor is it all that sustainable. You need down time as well.

I was a very atypical med student. Generally just crammed for exams. This won’t work for many but it worked for me. For finals I worried as people were learning all this weird and wonderful stuff, but medical school exams are generally about being safe and knowing the basics well.
Original post by Anonymous

Thanks

My daughter is first year and in the same situation. Don't look sideways at what others are doing as everyone has a different way to revise and study.
I remember so well from an open day being told that med students are used to (up to A level) feeling confident about exams and very on top of studies and med school is feeling like you never know enough!
Just do your best and it's so important to have free/leisure time otherwise it becomes a drudge that is not sustainable. Long term goals!
Year 2 will be different as you will have better understanding of how to study etc.
Good luck with exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending