The Student Room Group

Do I have a shot at getting a place in a Russel's Group University?

Hi all.

I'm an international student who will be applying next year for enrolment in 2025. It is my ambition to study in the UK, where I have lived briefly and genuinely love and admire as a country, and I would love to stay on and settle down there. Ideally, I would like to apply to a Russel's Group University for a major in politics. The five main universities I'm shooting for are King's College London, Durham University, Warwick University, St. Andrews and York University.

That being said, I'm not sure if I stand a chance at doing so. My GPA so far hasn't been good. I'm from an academically competitive school were failing exams isn't uncommon and for some papers, is the norm. For the last two years, most of my grades have been somewhat middling and I have failed math, but I'm generally considered an average student. However, we average an IB score of 37-39 and I believe that with hard work for the rest of the year, I could achieve such a score. I don't have any leadership positions or amazing ECs - I've directed a short film, dabbled in writing and have done some film-related charity work as well as on an arts exhibition. Although politics is my biggest interest and passion, I don't have anything - such as membership in MUN or a debate club - to show for it.

I'm not sure how "chance me" posts are viewed here and I apologise if they're not appropriate, I'm new to the site. If they're cool - assuming I get an IB score of 38 and with those ECs, do I stand a chance at any of the universities I mentioned above? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Hey,
I have absolutely no idea about IB scores, so I'll leave that to someone wiser to advise on that.
But I would say, mention the extracurriculars you have, but these top unis prefer to see supercurriculars, such as reading relevant books, watching lectures etc. They like to see how passionate you are, and how you've followed your interest. So definitely focus on that. Not sure what country you are from, but places such as America tends to place more emphasis on the importance of extracurriculars compared to top UK unis
Which country are you from and do you have the right to live in the U.K. after graduating? Would you be paying international fees?
So jealous or how rich international students are. How do they afford those crazy fees!?!
The first thing you need to understand is that the Russell Group is self-selective. This is a research group of particular universities that each decided to join this group and brand themselves as the Russell Group. No employers in the UK use the Russell Group as a metric for giving people jobs. 93% of employers don't consider the university you attended as important at all. So my advice would be to focus not on the Russell Group and more on which course is best for you.

Don't get me wrong - for many degree courses, universities in the Russell Group will be the most competitive courses to get into, with the highest entry requirements. However, there is little point getting into one of these institutions if you aren't going to enjoy or succeed in the course that you are there to study.
Original post by Emmmaaaa...
Hey,
I have absolutely no idea about IB scores, so I'll leave that to someone wiser to advise on that.
But I would say, mention the extracurriculars you have, but these top unis prefer to see supercurriculars, such as reading relevant books, watching lectures etc. They like to see how passionate you are, and how you've followed your interest. So definitely focus on that. Not sure what country you are from, but places such as America tends to place more emphasis on the importance of extracurriculars compared to top UK unis

Oh wow, thanks so much for this! I didn't know that about supercurriculars, that definitely helps my case that I'm interested in politics.
Original post by ajj2000
Which country are you from and do you have the right to live in the U.K. after graduating? Would you be paying international fees?

I would prefer not to disclose where I'm from. I don't have a right to live in the U.K. after graduating unless I obtain an employment visa, which would be my aim, although I concede that it is an uphill battle to get one. My sister was able to after completing her PhD. I would be paying international fees.
Original post by boulderingislife
So jealous or how rich international students are. How do they afford those crazy fees!?!

Yeah, the costs certainly are high. :frown: I am grateful that I'm able to afford the opportunity to study overseas because I understand how much of a privilege that is, especially in this economy.
Original post by 04MR17
The first thing you need to understand is that the Russell Group is self-selective. This is a research group of particular universities that each decided to join this group and brand themselves as the Russell Group. No employers in the UK use the Russell Group as a metric for giving people jobs. 93% of employers don't consider the university you attended as important at all. So my advice would be to focus not on the Russell Group and more on which course is best for you.

Don't get me wrong - for many degree courses, universities in the Russell Group will be the most competitive courses to get into, with the highest entry requirements. However, there is little point getting into one of these institutions if you aren't going to enjoy or succeed in the course that you are there to study.

Thanks for the insight :smile:
Original post by thursdays_son
Hi all.

I'm an international student who will be applying next year for enrolment in 2025. It is my ambition to study in the UK, where I have lived briefly and genuinely love and admire as a country, and I would love to stay on and settle down there. Ideally, I would like to apply to a Russel's Group University for a major in politics. The five main universities I'm shooting for are King's College London, Durham University, Warwick University, St. Andrews and York University.

That being said, I'm not sure if I stand a chance at doing so. My GPA so far hasn't been good. I'm from an academically competitive school were failing exams isn't uncommon and for some papers, is the norm. For the last two years, most of my grades have been somewhat middling and I have failed math, but I'm generally considered an average student. However, we average an IB score of 37-39 and I believe that with hard work for the rest of the year, I could achieve such a score. I don't have any leadership positions or amazing ECs - I've directed a short film, dabbled in writing and have done some film-related charity work as well as on an arts exhibition. Although politics is my biggest interest and passion, I don't have anything - such as membership in MUN or a debate club - to show for it.

I'm not sure how "chance me" posts are viewed here and I apologise if they're not appropriate, I'm new to the site. If they're cool - assuming I get an IB score of 38 and with those ECs, do I stand a chance at any of the universities I mentioned above? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi,

It's great to hear that you are interested in York!

If you like, you can check out our country page and then book an online appointment with one of our recruitment managers. You'll be able to have a chat to find out a bit more about what we're looking for and ask any questions you may have. If you want to stay informed about York, sign up for email updates and be the first to hear about visits to your country, important information and funding opportunities.

Hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
University of York
Original post by University of York
Hi,

It's great to hear that you are interested in York!

If you like, you can check out our country page and then book an online appointment with one of our recruitment managers. You'll be able to have a chat to find out a bit more about what we're looking for and ask any questions you may have. If you want to stay informed about York, sign up for email updates and be the first to hear about visits to your country, important information and funding opportunities.
Hi
Hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
University of York

Hi, thank you so much for the response! Will do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending