The Student Room Group

IBM vs UBS degree apprenticeship in tech

Hi!

Currently having the dilemma of choosing between two degree apprenticeships. On one hand IBM is a well established company that operates largely in the tech field, as someone who is new to technology I feel I would value to opportunity to have access to so many different departments and experienced professionals in the field as most people at IBM work in technology roles. Additionally I feel the range of projects I could work on would be more extensive in terms of their contexts.

However UBS is an equally established company if not more however i am worried it may not give me as holistic of a view on technology as I’d be working in a financial company but still able to operate in things like cloud, AI but I could be wrong on assuming the range of knowledge will be limited. However the salary at UBS is significantly greater.

I’m so ensure on which option is best please help!
Original post by yupyupp
Hi!

Currently having the dilemma of choosing between two degree apprenticeships. On one hand IBM is a well established company that operates largely in the tech field, as someone who is new to technology I feel I would value to opportunity to have access to so many different departments and experienced professionals in the field as most people at IBM work in technology roles. Additionally I feel the range of projects I could work on would be more extensive in terms of their contexts.

However UBS is an equally established company if not more however i am worried it may not give me as holistic of a view on technology as I’d be working in a financial company but still able to operate in things like cloud, AI but I could be wrong on assuming the range of knowledge will be limited. However the salary at UBS is significantly greater.

I’m so ensure on which option is best please help!

Congrats on both, of course, the decision is up to you. But to help inform you companies such as UBS and other financial firms may not be tech firms in the same sense. Still, the tech department running all the same as fintech is pretty complex in relation to the high levels of security and redundancy needed. So their level and range of knowledge is still very high spec.

You mentioned projects and how extensive there may be. Personally, a consideration is that part of IBM's main business model is working as a contracted firm. For example, many government departments outsource their work to companies like them. This means that IBM would provide more options for various projects in the future if you wish to diversify your portfolio/palette in what type of work you are doing.

Ps.
Out of curiosity may I ask what the ibm role is that you were offered (from matching) and also as to the salary region as I in matching at the moment :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 16linesz
Congrats on both, of course, the decision is up to you. But to help inform you companies such as UBS and other financial firms may not be tech firms in the same sense. Still, the tech department running all the same as fintech is pretty complex in relation to the high levels of security and redundancy needed. So their level and range of knowledge is still very high spec.

You mentioned projects and how extensive there may be. Personally, a consideration is that part of IBM's main business model is working as a contracted firm. For example, many government departments outsource their work to companies like them. This means that IBM would provide more options for various projects in the future if you wish to diversify your portfolio/palette in what type of work you are doing.

Ps.
Out of curiosity may I ask what the ibm role is that you were offered (from matching) and also as to the salary region as I in matching at the moment :smile:

thank you so much for the advice!
so the IBM role is actually not confirmed or anything but this is betting on the fact im shortlisted for the first one I was offered which is a devsecops AES role however they have said it is likely most will be offered a job as upon passing the assessment centre. Im pretty sure the salary for IBM is listed as £21000? or along those lines and this is for london. I really like the idea of being able to work on a plethora of different projects that are very broad so for that IBM takes the cake but i feel it would be silly to drop out of working for such a prestigious bank. I think ill get in touch with ubs before accepting anything to find out a bit more about the projects we'd be involved in :smile:. Also have you been sent a role from Matching?
Original post by yupyupp
thank you so much for the advice!
so the IBM role is actually not confirmed or anything but this is betting on the fact im shortlisted for the first one I was offered which is a devsecops AES role however they have said it is likely most will be offered a job as upon passing the assessment centre. Im pretty sure the salary for IBM is listed as £21000? or along those lines and this is for london. I really like the idea of being able to work on a plethora of different projects that are very broad so for that IBM takes the cake but i feel it would be silly to drop out of working for such a prestigious bank. I think ill get in touch with ubs before accepting anything to find out a bit more about the projects we'd be involved in :smile:. Also have you been sent a role from Matching?

No worries happy to help

Yeah i got sent the dwp one nearly 3 weeks ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending