The Student Room Group

Uni of Manchester vs Loughborough Uni for Aerospace/Aeronautical Eng

Hello,
I'm currently holding two offers from Manchester and Loughborough:

BEng/MEng Aerospace Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year at manchester

And

Aeronautical Engineering BEng (Hons) at Loughborough

I was wondering what thoughts people have on which uni is more prestigious, has better academics, atmosphere etc!

Thanks!
Original post by sham3000
Hello,
I'm currently holding two offers from Manchester and Loughborough:

BEng/MEng Aerospace Engineering with an Integrated Foundation Year at manchester

And

Aeronautical Engineering BEng (Hons) at Loughborough

I was wondering what thoughts people have on which uni is more prestigious, has better academics, atmosphere etc!

Thanks!

Hi @sham3000

Congratulations on your offers - its great to hear you're thinking about studying at Loughborough!

I'm currently in my first year at Loughborough and it wasn't long ago that I was in the same position as you so I thought I would offer some advice.

I would first take a look at the course pages again for both Loughborough and Manchester. If you go to the 'what I'll study' section on the Loughborough page you'll be able to see the modules you would be studying and see if anything interests you in particular.

The thing that helped me the most when deciding between my top two unis was going to visit them and attending offer holder days. These were a great opportunity to hear more about the course and also meet some of the academic staff who would be teaching me. I think the the best thing about them is the chance to speak to current students who are at the university and studying the course you want to study. Talking to students and hearing about student life is really what made my decision as that was what differentiated the unis for me. If you can't make it to an offer holder day I would still encourage you to visit the unis as it's important to choose somewhere where you can see yourself fitting in and being happy as you'll be living and studying there for the next 3+ years. If you click here you'll be able to see the options to visit Loughborough.

It's also worth taking a look at the accommodation for both of the unis to see what options are available. At Loughborough we have 16 halls of residence for undergraduates that cater to lots of different needs so I would suggest taking a look at those.

Finally I'd take a look at the extracurricular activities offered by the unis - perhaps there is an interest or a hobby that you have and you would like to continue it or you want to try something new. At Loughborough we have over 100 societies to choose from so there's plenty to get involved in. There's also lots of ways to get involved in sport, if you're interested, and there's something for every level of sport so you can make the most of the great sports facilities here.

I'm in my first year at Loughborough and I have to say the student experience has been even better than I thought. There's always lots to do on campus like going to the events put on by the Union, watching the Loughborough first teams play, getting involved in societies or getting involved in playing sport yourself. I've also been presented with some amazing opportunities for example this summer through the uni me and my friends are going on a road trip to Dubrovnik for charity which is something I never would have been able to do otherwise!

Loughborough is a small market town so can't offer what a city can but it's so easy to get to Leicester or Nottingham by bus or by train that if you want more of a city feel you can just go over there. Because Loughborough is a campus in a small town, I've found there's a great community feel that extends from the campus to the town and when you go out you always bump into someone you know which is really nice so it really does feel like a uni town.

I think the most important thing is to choose somewhere where you think you'll be happy as you can't really go wrong with either of these unis.

I hope this has helped and if you have any questions feel free to get in touch :smile:

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest