The Student Room Group

Working as an online tutor

I’m looking for advice on working as an online tutor after A levels and while at university.

Which online tutoring companies treat you well and pay fairly?

Do you know if their contract prevents you doing private tutoring alongside?

Subjects would be GCSE : Maths, further maths and science, A level : Maths, Chemistry and Biology. Have been tutoring since year 12, done tutoring course, tutored about 10 pupils - so good experience.
(edited 1 year ago)
i currently do tutoring with mypocketskill and while its levelling up system is...interesting to say the least, i'd say that its working quite well for me atm. if you sign up with your uni email address, however, you start off at a rate of £9.50 for 45 minutes which isn't too bad imo if you're not heavily depending on it. and once youve completed bookings you can level up to level 5 and level 6 and after that you can set your own price.

what usually happens (all this is explained to you during the onboarding process) is parents will create a listing and then you send a message regarding this listing to them telling them why you're the best person for the job. occasionally parents will message you themselves but the former is how i've been going about it. it can be quite difficult to get jobs but since you'll already be at a level 4 it won't be long before you get your first job

i've also heard mytutor is good. it pays A LOT more - i believe their base rate is £20 and you can set your own price. i don't know too much about the site since i only get tutored on it im not actually a tutor on mytutor but i'll probably move over once i go to university. they have their own video conferencing platform so you dont have to worry about zoom like you would have to with mypocketskill. you do have to do an interview tho i believe

either of these options would allow you to do private tuition alongside them (someone correct me if im wrong)

i've also heard of peppo which pays in between the two mentioned above. i havent actually looked into it probably but thought it was worth a mention

have a look at these platforms and see which one you like the most :smile: (ofc you can look at other places too but these are the ones i know of)
Reply 2
Thank you very much, that’s really helpful. Good luck with uni and with tutoring!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending