The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

is LSE better than Durham

Scroll to see replies

These threads are so full of ****. OP you will find people will give you advise through their own biases. Durham is a great university and so is LSE, done.
(edited 11 months ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by RoyalBeams
Tier 1: Oxbridge

Tier 2a: LSE and Imperial
Tier 2b: UCL

Tier 3a: Edinburgh and KCL
Tier 3b: St Andrews, Durham, Bristol and Warwick

These rankings are largely meaningless, especially near the top. In practice places like Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Durham are on par prestige-wise and your employment opportunities are not going to be noticeably impacted by going to one of these over the other.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 22
Tier 1: Oxbridge

Tier 2a: LSE and Imperial
Tier 2b: UCL

Tier 3a: Edinburgh and KCL
Tier 3b: St Andrews, Durham, Bristol and Warwick

Complete rubbish for the degree the OP is studying.
Reply 23
Original post by username6135883
I do want to do a masters (preferably international relations atm)

LSE is toxic - avoid ...
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
These rankings are largely meaningless, especially near the top. In practice places like Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Durham are on par prestige-wise and your employment opportunities are not going to be noticeably impacted by going to one of these over the other.

Apart from just brand prestige, I think if you look at earnings figures of LSE, Imperial and UCL graduates, you will realise Durham is not in that league.

So those rankings are not totally meaningless, but they do have some subtle impact on employment opportunities and outcomes. The situations where they have large impact is when you look across like 3 to 4 tier differences.
The earnings data for Politics grads from Durham and LSE are pretty much the same

After 15 months: Durham 28k, LSE 30k
After 3 years: Durham 33k, LSE 32k
After 5 years: Durham 42k, LSE 42.5k
Original post by PQ
The earnings data for Politics grads from Durham and LSE are pretty much the same

After 15 months: Durham 28k, LSE 30k
After 3 years: Durham 33k, LSE 32k
After 5 years: Durham 42k, LSE 42.5k

I was talking about salaries across all courses.
I was talking about salaries across all courses.

Which is largely irrelevant; what matters is your outcome for your own path. It is no surprise that computer science graduates will typically earn more than those with humanities degrees. Does that mean that every single person should do computer science???
Apart from just brand prestige, I think if you look at earnings figures of LSE, Imperial and UCL graduates, you will realise Durham is not in that league.

So those rankings are not totally meaningless, but they do have some subtle impact on employment opportunities and outcomes. The situations where they have large impact is when you look across like 3 to 4 tier differences.

Broad, general salaries mean little because that will be comparing vastly different fields. And when you start work you realise no one gives a sh!t about what uni you went to and its prestige.
Broad, general salaries mean little because that will be comparing vastly different fields. And when you start work you realise no one gives a sh!t about what uni you went to and its prestige.

Yes, top universities tend to be very good and have reputation in vastly different fields.

When you grow up and have many years of work under your belt, you will realise the university you attended (and, in the UK context, even the high school you attended) plays a big part in the types of top jobs available to you and your income.

The stats are there for you to see, and you need to jump on BBC iPlayer to watch a show about the Class Ceiling by Amol Rajan; so you can then stop giving jejune, liberal, everyone-feel-good, dismissive arguments that "it does not matter".

Reality and life will hit you out of your feel-good delusions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Class_Survey

"Average household income of elite households in 2011 was £89,000; average house price was £325,000 and above. Few are ethnic minorities; many are graduates, and over half come from families who were also in the elite class. Graduates of elite universities are over-represented, in particular from Oxford, Cambridge, King's College London, University College London, the London School of Economics, Durham University, the University of Edinburgh, the University of Bristol, Imperial College London and City University of London."
Yes, top universities tend to be very good and have reputation in vastly different fields.

When you grow up and have many years of work under your belt, you will realise the university you attended (and, in the UK context, even the high school you attended) plays a big part in the types of top jobs available to you and your income.

The stats are there for you to see, and you need to jump on BBC iPlayer to watch a show about the Class Ceiling by Amol Rajan; so you can then stop giving jejune, liberal, everyone-feel-good, dismissive arguments that "it does not matter".

"Average household income of elite households in 2011 was £89,000; average house price was £325,000 and above. Few are ethnic minorities; many are graduates, and over half come from families who were also in the elite class. Graduates of elite universities are over-represented, in particular from Oxford, Cambridge, King's College London, University College London, the London School of Economics, Durham University, the University of Edinburgh, the University of Bristol, Imperial College London and City University of London."

You do realise I was talking about top universities, don't you? All of the ones I listed were top unis. I didn't say you could generally expect the same prospects from, say, going to LSE or London South Bank. So please actually read what I'm posting before attacking a strawman. Unless you're in a firm that exclusively hires from Oxbridge or something (never heard of such a thing and if they exist they must be rare) then it is 100% true that once you're working no one is going to care whether you went to UCL over Durham, or Imperial over Oxford. What uni you went to might be the ice breaker convo you get when you first join the company and meet people but after that uni is practically never mentioned again. What employers will care about is whether you can perform the job to a high standard. And uni will matter even less the further you get into your career because you by far do the most growing and learning on the job, not at uni.
(edited 11 months ago)
'When you grow up and have many years of work under your belt'
- Joined TSR 2017.
- Credibility out the window.
Original post by random_matt
'When you grow up and have many years of work under your belt'
- Joined TSR 2017.
- Credibility out the window.

Exactly, he/she is just resorting to personal attacks and has no idea how many years of work I have under my belt.

I’ve read your posts in this thread and came to the conclusion that you are someone who has not left the confines of education yet. Then I see you are telling other people about reality.

I’ve give you some advice about the world of work: an employer is interested in your competency for the role, not your university. They aren’t recruiting your university, they are recruiting you.

A small part of my job involves sifting graduate applications. We score them exclusively on relevant skills and the institution name is hidden because it is not deemed relevant.

The error some people make is they believe their university reputation will carry them into a job. It won’t. So rather than obsessing over university reputation and making up tier lists, focus on obtaining the skills and relevant experience that allow to demonstrate you are competent.
You do realise I was talking about top universities, don't you? All of the ones I listed were top unis. I didn't say you could generally expect the same prospects from, say, going to LSE or London South Bank. So please actually read what I'm posting before attacking a strawman. Unless you're in a firm that exclusively hires from Oxbridge or something (never heard of such a thing and if they exist they must be rare) then it is 100% true that once you're working no one is going to care whether you went to UCL over Durham, or Imperial over Oxford. What uni you went to might be the ice breaker convo you get when you first join the company and meet people but after that uni is practically never mentioned again. What employers will care about is whether you can perform the job to a high standard. And uni will matter even less the further you get into your career because you by far do the most growing and learning on the job, not at uni.

And what I am telling you is that people do care. It will be a subconcious decision on certain occasions once you are working like job interviews and promotion.

Even in the tier below Oxbridge, there are still general tiers and Durham, as good as it is, is below LSE, Imperial and UCL.

People subconciously stereotype you based on your gender, race, height, looks, subject you studied and university you attended. That is the real world!!!
And what I am telling you is that people do care. It will be a subconcious decision on certain occasions once you are working like job interviews and promotion.

Even in the tier below Oxbridge, there are still general tiers and Durham, as good as it is, is below LSE, Imperial and UCL.

People subconciously stereotype you based on your gender, race, height, looks, subject you studied and university you attended. That is the real world!!!

Being stereotyped isn't going to help you get through the interview processes required for most jobs, in which it's your skills and knowledge that are the most important, not the uni name on your CV :wink:
Original post by Wonder Potato
I’ve read your posts in this thread and came to the conclusion that you are someone who has not left the confines of education yet. Then I see you are telling other people about reality.

I’ve give you some advice about the world of work: an employer is interested in your competency for the role, not your university. They aren’t recruiting your university, they are recruiting you.

A small part of my job involves sifting graduate applications. We score them exclusively on relevant skills and the institution name is hidden because it is not deemed relevant.

The error some people make is they believe their university reputation will carry them into a job. It won’t. So rather than obsessing over university reputation and making up tier lists, focus on obtaining the skills and relevant experience that allow to demonstrate you are competent.

"A small part of my job involves sifting graduate applications. We score them exclusively on relevant skills and the institution name is hidden because it is not deemed relevant."

This, on the contrary, proves my point.

Organisations are attempting to go institution/university blind on CVs and job applications to eliminate the inherent subconcious stereotype that people engage in.

Thank you for proving my point, Sir/Madam.

When these people start working and people get to know each other and the universities attended, these subconcious stereotype will slip back in as the batch get closer to the top. A worker from a less reputable university than another worker will most likely have to perform clearly x multiple times better than the latter to win the available senior promotion. He can't just be doing almost similar.

If a Lancaster grad worker is performing at similar/undistiguishable levels to an Oxford grad worker, the Oxford grad worker will be more likely to get the vacant position above. It is a phenomena of social proof.
(edited 11 months ago)
When people start working and people get to know each other and the universities attended, these subconciously stereotype will slip back in as the batch get closer to the top. A worker from a less reputable university than another worker will have to perform clearly x multiple times better than the latter to win the senior promotion. He can't just be doing almost similar.

If a Lancaster grad worker is performing at similar/undistiguishable levels to an Oxford grad worker, the Oxford grad worker will be more likely to get the vacant position above. It is a phenomena of social proof.

You have the gall to accuse others of delusion when you post crap like this lmaoo. You appear to know nothing about how the world of work actually operates.
(edited 11 months ago)
Being stereotyped isn't going to help you get through the interview processes required for most jobs, in which it's your skills and knowledge that are the most important, not the uni name on your CV :wink:

It will get you past the gatekeeper and give you a chance others will not get; even though they (i.e. the others) can get past the interview process and do the job well.

Mark this down:
Your next Prime Ministers for the next 30 years will be 80% to 100% Oxbridge graduates. I can guarantee you there are thousands of LSE, Durham, Nottingham graduates that can do a good job as PM but will never have the chance. There will be more Eton ex-students ending up as PM than the graduates of those 3 universities combined ending up as PM.
(edited 11 months ago)
You have the gall to accuse others of delusion when you post crap like this lmaoo. You appear to know nothing about how the world of work actually operates.

You will grow up and learn eventually.

Quick Reply

Latest