The Student Room Group

how do i structure revision of 8 subjects as a homeschooler?

i probably should've asked a while back but how do i structure revision for 8 subjects?
im homeschooled meaning i structure my own learning. i understand that its "not too late to change my marks" and stuff but how do i do them all?
i fixate on 2 or 3 and then forget the other 5 or smth and im really stressed
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
I'd generally just recommend making a timetable. Try and get in about 1 hour of revision a day, maybe doing 2 subjects with the Pomodoro technique: 25m one subject, 5m break, repeat. Then you can alternate between subjects every day, while not giving yourself burnout. You can always leave gaps in your timetable, e.g. if you miss one day or need a break you can just shift it to another. Sometimes it's hard to feel like you're doing anything even if you are, but if you have a timetable you can cross off the subjects as you do them.

Definitely time yourself revising, as then you can set limits but make sure you're doing stuff.

Being homeschooled, I would really recommend you check out the Specifications for your subjects (on the exam boards website), if you haven't already. Then you can browse through them, look at any topics you need to focus on and do a revision session on that. It's also worth doing things like Past Papers to get an idea of any topics you're weak on, so you can focus on that. I would generally say try and switch topics around every week though, as otherwise it can get to the point where you miss out on others

I hope that helps! Feel free to come back with any other questions (I'm homeschooled myself), and best of luck with your exams :biggrin:
Original post by littlenebulae
i probably should've asked a while back but how do i structure revision for 8 subjects?
im homeschooled meaning i structure my own learning. i understand that its "not too late to change my marks" and stuff but how do i do them all?
i fixate on 2 or 3 and then forget the other 5 or smth and im really stressed

Hi @littlenebulae

I’m currently a university student but I remember finding it a bit stressful to juggle all my subjects for my GCSE’s.
It’s always good to start with some organisation. I would suggest making a list of all your subjects and putting them in order of importance with the subject you feel least confident with as the top priority for revision. For me, I always found Maths and Science more difficult, so I would make sure I focussed on these subjects first.

I would then recommend focussing on quick short bursts of revision for each subject. Maybe try 20 minutes reading over some notes, take a 10-minute break, then come back and quiz yourself to see what you remember. This might help you to feel less overwhelmed by spending hours on one subject, and instead find more time to fit in revision for each subject.

Remember to be kind to yourself and take breaks between your revision to help stop yourself from feeling overwhelmed.

Good luck with your exams! Any questions, feel free to ask,
Emily
Student Ambassador at Birmingham City University.
That's a lot of subjects to be doing all at once if you're home educated.

I'd suggest a timetable as Moss says. My kids are also home ed, and they revise according to timetables that were made on spreadsheets. Leave a 10-15 minute break between subjects, or even between topics.

Quick Reply

Latest