The Student Room Group

PhDs to job openings per academic field ratio?

Hello,I am looking for data on the number of new PhD graduates compared to the number of academic job openings per academic field. I know that some fields e.g., humanities tend to be more saturated than others, but would love to get some actual numbers behind this. Would be really helpful if you if you have any ideas on where to find that type of data or if you have any anecdotal evidence from your own experience!
Original post by Tot0r0
Hello,I am looking for data on the number of new PhD graduates compared to the number of academic job openings per academic field. I know that some fields e.g., humanities tend to be more saturated than others, but would love to get some actual numbers behind this. Would be really helpful if you if you have any ideas on where to find that type of data or if you have any anecdotal evidence from your own experience!

In my experience academic jobs as in "real staff position" are simply not open to new PhD grads immediately post student ship. A credible applicant for a junior lecturers position in STEM will likely have 3+ years of post doc experience and a junior fellowship position or national lab experience in the bag and some record of winning funding.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending