The Student Room Group

What happens to the Doctoral Loan if I dropped out of my PhD course?

Hi,

I started a PhD in January 2023 from which, unfortunately, had to withdraw at the end of April 2023.

I had a part-time Doctoral Loan over 6 years of which I received the first instalment in March 2023. Will that instalment be added to my overall SFE balance from previous courses (from which I graduated) or will I have to pay it back straight away?

Thank you for your assistance!
Hi there, Has your university sent us your withdrawal notification to confirm the last date you attended your course? Does the status of your application show as withdrawn? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, Has your university sent us your withdrawal notification to confirm the last date you attended your course? Does the status of your application show as withdrawn? Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

Appreciate your reply. I specifically asked them to confirm my withdrawal with SFE. So that should happen anytime soon.

I received my first instalment in March and my withdrawal date is 27th April 2023.
Original post by Jimmy3times
Hi Karen,

Appreciate your reply. I specifically asked them to confirm my withdrawal with SFE. So that should happen anytime soon.

I received my first instalment in March and my withdrawal date is 27th April 2023.

Once we have received the withdrawal notification your online account will update to reflect this. Once it has been reviewed the team will be in contact with you to confirm the funding you were entitled to receive for the time spent on your course.

If you have been overpaid the team will be in contact with you. If you haven't then your funding would fall into the standard repayment route.

For this query we will need you to contact our Repayments department, as they are currently not available on Live chat you can contact them using one of the following:

If you prefer to communicate to them via chat then you can message them on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ /SLC_Repayment or Facebook http://m.me/SLCRepayment -

Alternatively, they are also available on the phone. Their number is 0300 100 0611 and their opening hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-6pm.

Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending