The Student Room Group

Is it normal for cats to make friends?

When I got my cat last year, we planned to make her a strictly indoor cat (which quickly failed).

She just turned 1 years old and has lots of cat friends who visit her every day. They just sit with eachother sometimes, sometimes they go for walks, sometimes she lets them eat her food. When she’s indoors they often meow for her to come out.

I’m just curious whether this is normal? We have loads of cats in our busy neighbourhood and I was scared that they’d fight her (she’s quite small) since cats are supposed to be territorial, but it seems like the opposite has happened?
Original post by d-m1
When I got my cat last year, we planned to make her a strictly indoor cat (which quickly failed).

She just turned 1 years old and has lots of cat friends who visit her every day. They just sit with eachother sometimes, sometimes they go for walks, sometimes she lets them eat her food. When she’s indoors they often meow for her to come out.

I’m just curious whether this is normal? We have loads of cats in our busy neighbourhood and I was scared that they’d fight her (she’s quite small) since cats are supposed to be territorial, but it seems like the opposite has happened?

My sisters cat has a friend who lives 2 doors away from my sister
Reply 2
Original post by d-m1

Yh some cats are chilled and super friendly.
Reply 3
Cats can be very insular of territorial - or create a small community of friends.
I always understood that cats do not meow /mew to each other, only to humans?
Kittens meow to their mother when hungry
Reply 4
Original post by domonict
Cats can be very insular of territorial - or create a small community of friends.
I always understood that cats do not meow /mew to each other, only to humans?
Kittens meow to their mother when hungry

Thats correct. Cats have only meow to us a form of communication.
Reply 5
Original post by d-m1

Yes this is completely normal and quite sweet too <3

My cat also has a bestie!! He is our neighbour's cat and they play together all the time! Not all cats are so friendly though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by d-m1

Cats are super cute in bonding. I love cats!

Quick Reply

Latest