The Student Room Group

Who's your favourite historical figure?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Acuityo
Lmao really meanwhile Britain was producing propaganda mocking napoleons height and he was 7 inches taller than Horatio.

To be fair, it was the fault of the French measurement system, which was distinct from British Imperial units. Under the French system (an inch being 2.7 centimetres under this system, in place of 2.54) he was considered 5'2 - this translates to about 5' 6.5" under the British Imperial system.

My guess is that cartoonists and satirists of the day were amused by the fact that a man they believed to be little wanted such a large share of the world - with that being where the jokes started.
Reply 21
Claudius
Ancient- Akhenaten.
Modern Era- Joan Collins.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
Wouldn't Napoléon go under emperor?

An emperor and general (precise: warlord) to be exact. I have never known him as an philosopher.
Original post by Kallisto
An emperor and general (precise: warlord) to be exact. I have never known him as an philosopher.

Same but i've learned something new
Same but i've learned something new

Did you learn that Nepoleon was a warlord who fought for French's idea of government in the European countries to integrate code civile in their politics? that was the reason why he led wars on European countries.
(edited 10 months ago)
Did you learn that Nepoleon was a warlord who fought for French's idea of government in the European countries to integrate code civile in their politics? that was the reason why he led wars on European countries.

No
No

Now you learnt that fact about him. And his hegemony lasted at least twenty years before restauration politics brought the old state of government back in Europe: absolute monarchy.
(edited 10 months ago)
Hard to pick one, but some that come to mind are:
Ashoka
Hypatia of Alexandria
Leonardo da Vinci
Thomas Paine
Olaudah Equiano
Ada Lovelace
Haile Selassie I
Nicholas & Helena Roerich
Emmeline Pankhurst
Alan Turing
Sophie Scholl & the White Rose resistance movement in 1940s Germany
Reply 29
Jean-Paul Marat was quite the character.
Reply 30
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
I have 2:

- Miyamoto Musashi (as evidenced by my profile picture)
- Marcus Aurelius (as evidenced by my username)

Marcus Aurelius I can get behind, but Musashi was a psychopathic murderer.
Original post by Trinculo
Marcus Aurelius I can get behind, but Musashi was a psychopathic murderer.

Nah he was just based.
Reply 32
Original post by Alexty28
Jean-Paul Marat was quite the character.

😂 Assassinated in his bath. What a glorious end.
Original post by Wired_1800
Modern: Vladimir…

I never thought the day would come when I'd be considering Lenin as the best case scenario. :tongue:
Simone de Beauvoir, Emmeline Pankhurst.

Alan Turing.

Mary Queen of Scots, Elizabeth I.
I know that Karl Marx was and still is a controversial (political) phioosopher, but he was one of the first people who scrutinized the poverty in industrial period, asked the social question what led to movements, organisations and parties who changed the living conditions for the workers for better, apart from his theses and solutions about the capitalism and the fact that governments and dictatorships misused his ideas.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by londonmyst
I never thought the day would come when I'd be considering Lenin as the best case scenario. :tongue:

I don't think Lenin was best case scenario.

Here is the description:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2z0nrsQ8o&pp=ygUiZXBpYyByYXAgYmF0dGxlcyBvZiBoaXN0b3J5IHB1dGluIA%3D%3D
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
I have 2:

- Miyamoto Musashi (as evidenced by my profile picture)
- Marcus Aurelius (as evidenced by my username)

Original post by Acuityo
I have many

Kings, Rulers and Emperors:
King Baldwin
Marcus Aurelius
Julius Caesar

Philosophers, Writers and Artists
Napoleon
Marcus Aurelius
Epictetus
Seneca
John Locke
Thomas Hobbes
Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Max Webber

The list could go on tbh

Marcus Aurelius, a Roman Emperor? Despite the fact that he was a philosphor on Rome's throne, I have no idea what makes him so special to be so popular.
Marcus Aurelius, a Roman Emperor? Despite the fact that he was a philosphor on Rome's throne, I have no idea what makes him so special to be so popular.

He was a practitioner of Stoicism and wrote the book 'Meditations'; a book which had I not read, would have never led me down the path of Stoicism and self improvement.

Without such a philosophy I would still be in a depressive rut, so in a way he and his writings saved me.
Aside from Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), probably Malcolm X. I love the way he really fixed his life in prison and the drastic change from pre-prison and post-prison. I love how he challenged white people, and really wanted black people to be independent. Living in a predominantly white country, being taught by my white teachers, they always paint Malcolm X in a negative way, and say how much they love MLK. I don't have anything against MLK, I love the guy, but I think because he hated white people, and didn't want to join white society like MLK, they don't like him as much. That's just a dumb theory of mine. Also him being a muslim I can really relate to him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending