The Student Room Group

Who's your favourite historical figure?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800

Alas further reinforcement that Lenin is indeed best possible case scenario. :eek:
"Stopped the greatest revolution since the birth of Marx" was a fantastic line. :cool:
Original post by londonmyst
Alas further reinforcement that Lenin is indeed best possible case scenario. :eek:
"Stopped the greatest revolution since the birth of Marx" was a fantastic line. :cool:

It was a fantastic line. I guess some Russians wont agree with Lenin
Oda Nobunaga (1538-1582). He was a warlord in the 16th century whose ambition was to unite Japan under a single banner. He's actually where my username comes from. In June 1582, his retainers Akechi Mitsuhide betrayed him and ambushed him at the Honno-ji Temple in Kyoto. When Oda realised there was no escape, he asked his pageboy Mori Ranmaru (whom he also had a sexual relationship with) to set the temple on fire. He then commit seppuku so that Akechi could not take his head. Mori followed him into death. Something that drew me to Oda was that he was very ambitious and he had good values, however he was often considered a fool and undermined.

After him, then Guo Jia (170-207 AD). Guo Jia was an advisor to the military warlord Cao Cao during the Three Kingdoms period in Chinese history. Guo Jia's strategies were not only brilliant but they were also instrumental to Cao Cao's success on the battlefield. In 207 AD, Cao Cao's army won the Battle of White Wolf Mountain due to Guo Jia's quick thinking. Unfortunately, Guo Jia died shortly after from illness. In 208 AD, Cao Cao lost in the largest naval battle in history (in terms of participants at least, according to Norwich University) known as the Battle of Red Cliffs (aka Battle of Chibi). Cao Cao has been quoted saying that had Guo Jia been there, then things would have gone differently. He continued to mourn Guo Jia's loss long after he was gone, lamenting over his death in letters he sent to others. Guo Jia was an incredibly intelligent person and if there was any way I could sit down and have a drink with him I 100% would.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by 1582
Oda Nobunaga (1538-1582). He was a warlord in the 16th century whose ambition was to unite Japan under a single banner. He's actually where my username comes from. In June 1582, his retainers Akechi Mitsuhide betrayed him and ambushed him at the Honno-ji Temple in Kyoto. When Oda realised there was no escape, he asked his pageboy Mori Ranmaru (whom he also had a sexual relationship with) to set the temple on fire. He then commit seppuku so that Akechi could not take his head. Mori followed him into death. Something that drew me to Oda was that he was very ambitious and he had good values, however he was often considered a fool and undermined.

After him, then Guo Jia (170-207 AD). Guo Jia was an advisor to the military warlord Cao Cao during the Three Kingdoms period in Chinese history. Guo Jia's strategies were not only brilliant but they were also instrumental to Cao Cao's success on the battlefield. In 207 AD, Cao Cao's army won the Battle of White Wolf Mountain due to Guo Jia's quick thinking. Unfortunately, Guo Jia died shortly after from illness. In 208 AD, Cao Cao lost in the largest naval battle in history (in terms of participants at least, according to Norwich University) known as the Battle of Red Cliffs (aka Battle of Chibi). Cao Cao has been quoted saying that had Guo Jia been there, then things would have gone differently. He continued to mourn Guo Jia's loss long after he was gone, lamenting over his death in letters he sent to others. Guo Jia was an incredibly intelligent person and if there was any way I could sit down and have a drink with him I 100% would.

Is 1582 your favourite number then? And interesting information.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 44
Original post by mqb2766
But hes french (corsica) so thats fair.

martin Luther king jr
Mary seacole

Italian emperors
Galba,
Otho,
Vitellius,
Vespasian
nero
julias caseur
Caligula
list goes on tbh
JF ZAK
Original post by ICEcold_Stoic
He was a practitioner of Stoicism and wrote the book 'Meditations'; a book which had I not read, would have never led me down the path of Stoicism and self improvement.

Without such a philosophy I would still be in a depressive rut, so in a way he and his writings saved me.

If you are so familiar with Stoicism, you certainly know the Zeno of Citium, the founder. I think that you have the same appreciation for this philosopher.
my favourite historical figure is caligula's horse
Reply 47
Original post by Talkative Toad
Can be any past person (that existed) or someone who is still alive but has made history.

I've always loved Benjamin Franklin. He was an adventurer and an incredible polymath. He was born in poverty; and escaped an apprenticeship under his brother; and ended up a famous diplomat in France and addressing the House of Parliament in London. A great scientist and is credited with various invention which he never patented; and knew and met the great thinkers of the age, from David Hume to Thomas Paine. He left behind a huge amount of material and diaries, and wrote the first autobiography, including the funny 'Poor Richard's Almanack'.

Then, I've always wished I could meet Oscar Wilde. He died in such dire drab circumstances & at a very young age with Robbie Ross at his side. I think his boys suffered also and died young. I would have loved for him to know just how many people would continue to read and admire him many many years after his death and he would become an icon, campaigner etc. Interestingly, the prosecution barrister against him was Sir Horace Avory who, as a judge, was so noted for sending men to the gallows that he was knowen as "the hanging judge".
Original post by Pythian
I've always loved Benjamin Franklin. He was an adventurer and an incredible polymath. He was born in poverty; and escaped an apprenticeship under his brother; and ended up a famous diplomat in France and addressing the House of Parliament in London. A great scientist and is credited with various invention which he never patented; and knew and met the great thinkers of the age, from David Hume to Thomas Paine. He left behind a huge amount of material and diaries, and wrote the first autobiography, including the funny 'Poor Richard's Almanack'.

Then, I've always wished I could meet Oscar Wilde. He died in such dire drab circumstances & at a very young age with Robbie Ross at his side. I think his boys suffered also and died young. I would have loved for him to know just how many people would continue to read and admire him many many years after his death and he would become an icon, campaigner etc. Interestingly, the prosecution barrister against him was Sir Horace Avory who, as a judge, was so noted for sending men to the gallows that he was knowen as "the hanging judge".

Interesting information
Reply 49
Original post by Meduse
Simone de Beauvoir, Emmeline Pankhurst.

A paedophile and a terrorist. Amazing.
Original post by Trinculo
A paedophile and a terrorist. Amazing.

Bit harsh to describe Mrs Pankhurst as a terrorist.
Emily Davidson, sure.

Whilst the mass criminality that Mrs Pankhurst ordered her WSPU activists to commit, publicly justified for years and brazenly turned a blind eye to in the name of the 'votes for women' cause was indeed thuggish & wholly despicable.
Her main objectives were to inflict immense economic damage via attacks upon items of valuable property and cause immense social disruption. Not to terrorise or use violent criminality to kill people/inflict serious physical harm.
Reply 51
Original post by londonmyst
Bit harsh to describe Mrs Pankhurst as a terrorist.
Emily Davidson, sure.

Whilst the mass criminality that Mrs Pankhurst ordered her WSPU activists to commit, publicly justified for years and brazenly turned a blind eye to in the name of the 'votes for women' cause was indeed thuggish & wholly despicable.
Her main objectives were to inflict immense economic damage via attacks upon items of valuable property and cause immense social disruption. Not to terrorise or use violent criminality to kill people/inflict serious physical harm.

In fairness, she was at the helm with the call to arms, and under her watch, Suffragettes invented the concept of the letter bomb. And they did try to assassinate the PM.
Reply 52
thts true
but u dont want to say that to history teacher
cause they would give u a lecture that would never end
hw they (pankhurst and davison) arent terrorists
hahahha
the funny thing when we learned about emily davidson is that she hid in parliment for some amount of hours
and she needed only like 30mins before house of parliment was her home
cauze back then apperently you had to spend a certain amount of time in a place then it was your home
tbh thats a terrorist move to make
and assissantate the PM 7
lmao
cant believe this
JF ZAK
😔😩😭😭😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😅
There's a reason why my username on here is rosaponselle and my avatar is her pic :biggrin:
Original post by Trinculo
I'm not an apologist for terrorists and paedophiles.

Did I not say “don’t talk to me”? Read.
Reply 55
Jimmy nail
Methagu V Pirabakaran :angelblush:
Now this is a difficult one.

Frederick II the Great of Prussia is defo one of the most fascinating historical figures out there, given he was both a strategic mastermind and had some innovative philosophical ideas for his time. Not 100% sure he’s my favourite historical figure though.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Now this is a difficult one.

Frederick II the Great of Prussia is defo one of the most fascinating historical figures out there, given he was both a strategic mastermind and had some innovative philosophical ideas for his time. Not 100% sure he’s my favourite historical figure though.

He had a liberal attitude and let people migrated in Prussia who were detested somewhere else, the Huguenots in France for instance. To be fair, he did it to let Prussia grow. He and his father Frederick I let the foundation for the raise of Prussia to a great power.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 59
Claudius

Elizabeth 1

Spartacus
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending