The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Rival threads FTW!
Reply 2
Apparantly annoying a percentage of people in the general discussion wasn't good enough, so you've come to the home base? The world could do with more fine strategists like yourself.
Reply 3
VanillaCat
Rival threads FTW!

Two almost identical threads by the same person DOUBLE FTW! I guess they can't really count as 'rival' though.
Reply 4
So are you.
Reply 5
hmm
Reply 6
There is only one word to describe this, and that is "ignorance."
An English Literature degree is of some benefit; those taking one generally know how to spell 'interest' :yeah:

OK, that was a cop-out, but so is this thread.
Reply 8
*gets out gun*

EDIT: oooh I never used these before!
:shoot:

:lockstock:
Reply 9
OH SHI-
I DIDNT REALISE THIS UNTIL YOU POINTED IT OUR HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
now im going to withdraw my application! thankyou so much for preventing me from making such a hideous, mistake which could have ruined my life and THREATENED THE ECONOMY
Reply 10
Oh who gives a toss, study what you want and leave others alone, jesus...
Do you mean "interesting"?
Reply 12
thepiglette
An English Literature degree is of some benefit; those taking one generally know how to spell 'interest' :yeah:

OK, that was a cop-out, but so is this thread.

rep for you! If only I hadn't already given mine to someone else today :p:
tomorrow, tomorrow.
Reply 13
Another thread? *Sigh*
Reply 14
Well, I haven't read your other thread.
But in my IB years, when I had to sit there and analyse countless number of random poems/texts and whatnot, pointing out some stupid allegory or anything I could find, I did think that it was a completely useless task. This being said though, I find that people who are skilled at this generally have a knack of being very good speakers, and generally quite well rounded in their knowledge and grasp of subjects in the literature spectrum - after all, all these literature "stuffs" are a part of our heritage & culture, you need people who can tell us what they mean.
I would comment on this, but it's hardly different from the question you brought forward in your other thread, to which hardly anybody seems to agree with your logic! :frown:
sadie-kiki
rep for you! If only I hadn't already given mine to someone else today :p:
tomorrow, tomorrow.

haha cheers :smile:
Danules
Whilst analysing literature is useless it is an intrest subject. However it is a waste of money on funding on degrees on this intrest where no skills that benefit people are gained.

Haha I don't think posting this under a category viewed by people who are planning to study English Literature in University was a good idea!

But I agree with you, there are far too many degrees that are no use to society whatsoever.

Let me ask the albeit biased readers of this thread a hypothetical (or in some cases real) question:

You have been studying English Literature for 4 years, and now have a Masters Degree in English Lit. Who do you think will employ you?

Sure you studied a fairly rigourous subject, but it has scarce applications to todays economy; the number of students taking English Lit severely outnumbers the number of jobs available in this sector.
I don't find it particularly useful but each to their own {I'm sure some would say a maths degree isn't useful!}
Necro Defain
I don't find it particularly useful but each to their own {I'm sure some would say a maths degree isn't useful!}

I'm not sure how you came to that assumption...

Maths is the fundamental subject behind all science, engineering, financing, and economic career paths.

It is not uncommon for a Maths Graduate to start working for an insurance firm as an actuarist on £40,000-£80,000 starting salary.

Latest

Trending

Trending