The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

rainbow drops
i was being sarcastic. i don't capitalise words on TSR because i'm lazy, whereas the original post doesn't actually make sense. my grammar's fine.

See blue word :wink:

More sarcasm?
eulerwaswrong
taxpayer?

Last time I checked English Literature graduates also pay taxes :smile:
Reply 42
If you studied either English or History you'd actually realise that sometimes literature does have a large socio-political effect. For example, take the awareness raised of Victorian poverty by Dickens, Gaskell, etc. Take the playing of 'Richard II' before Essex's Rebellion. Take the hundreds and hundreds of examples of literary propaganda.

Also, sending English students to uni still gives the government a good profit, so I don't see why you need to complain about it instead of leaving us to do as we choose.

You just like the attention, don't you?
electriic_ink
See blue word :wink:

More sarcasm?

dear god. :sigh:
Reply 44
Afrikaans Boytjie
What is the point of theoretical physics? Why don't all pure mathematicians become applied ones so that people like the OP can be satisfied that they are serving an actual purpose? What is the point of studying History? Why study anything biological, there are far more benefits for society if all science students were to become engineers... Yet I'm seeing a distinctive lack of people advocating this... (Now I know I'm just going to get a storm of replies)

the machine you are wrote that message on was at one point theoretical physics so...
and pure maths often find applications later on in time
History I'll just say we should never forget things like WWI and WWII
I donn't agree with the OP though English litt gives you a lot of skills but I donn't really like it
Reply 45
rainbow drops
i was being sarcastic. i don't capitalise words on TSR because i'm lazy, whereas the original post doesn't actually make sense. my grammar's fine.

fine it doesn't make much sense if you read it word for word but anyone with a brain will be able to make out what it means. and i'm pretty sure you were doing it sarcastically :wink:
Analysing literature is useless.

Um, no it's not.

So THERE.
You're gonna be taking back your words in a minute as an English Literature graduate could say be working as a top journalist for The Guardian or the BBC, whilst you could be stuck with a 3rd wishing you studied English Lit and is know sitting at a job centre looking for work.

And anyway, what are you studying? Yes, I can agree that every degree has its bad points, but also its good points; but it doesn't mean it is useless. Some graduates from English Lit courses go on to an extravagant range of jobs, not just reading Shakespeare all day! :rolleyes:
random321
fine it doesn't make much sense if you read it word for word but anyone with a brain will be able to make out what it means. and i'm pretty sure you were doing it sarcastically :wink:

well yes, i was being sarcastic, i just said that. i made out what he meant, as did everyone else in this thread, but is there really any excuse for formulating sentences that badly? if you're going to criticise english, you should at least make your argument legible.

anyway. you might think analysing texts is useless, but for an english-related career (which is what most english students are aiming for anyway, it's not like we all want to go into IB) you can't get much better, just as you can't get better than maths for a career in finance. maths would be 'useless' for journalism, but we don't constantly go on about it.
Hmm English is no more pointless than something like History.
Reply 50
Laith
English smells like cows

you forgot to add flactuence to cows as these english people need a big posh word to make it worth them reading it. lol. couldn't agree more
mf2004
the machine you are wrote that message on was at one point theoretical physics so...
and pure maths often find applications later on in time
History I'll just say we should never forget things like WWI and WWII
I donn't agree with the OP though English litt gives you a lot of skills but I donn't really like it

The OP was talking about current Literature graduates, so was I. Yes I know that the benefits will only materialise later on from the knowledge of these subjects. But then alternatively, won't the benefits of studying english literature equally appear later on in the timeline. History you say we must not forget these events, why however must we forget the literary masterpieces ? And science isn't squeaky clean in its benefits to humanity, Global Warming, Obesity... etc. All I'm really saying is that yes science has many of its own benfits, however so do other subjects. And as for the pure mathematicians, being an applied mathematician you could solve far more problems than as an arbitrary unknown pure mathematician, very few pure mathematicians actually contribute to anything substantial to our mathematical knowledge. While they will certainly have a higher probability of contributing to the world via becoming an applied mathematician. :woo:
Reply 52
Rubaiyat
OH SHI-
I DIDNT REALISE THIS UNTIL YOU POINTED IT OUR HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
now im going to withdraw my application! thankyou so much for preventing me from making such a hideous, mistake which could have ruined my life and THREATENED THE ECONOMY

Another soul saved :rolleyes:
Basically taking maths or a science means you can learn theories rememer them and stuff.

But english takes skill and creativity and is your own personal work.

I mean I like both, and feel they are equal.
But dont go mocking English :angry:
Reply 54
Laith
English smells like cow ****.

That's better. I even used a similie.

If i analysed that, like the english people would I could understand your heart rendering emotion, your excellent use of modern language and the unalliteration of the words. As an english student I am forced to agree with the text and for once I actually do. I think the profane language is effective because it truly brings out what english is all about
Reply 55
...Isn't a degree in science equally "useless" if the student then doesn't go into science?
Reply 56
ixivxivi
...Isn't a degree in science equally "useless" if the student then doesn't go into science?

But you can't go into literature analysis because it isnt a career. So science has many careers with actual transferable skills.
Reply 57
Afrikaans Boytjie
The OP was talking about current Literature graduates, so was I. Yes I know that the benefits will only materialise later on from the knowledge of these subjects. But then alternatively, won't the benefits of studying english literature equally appear later on in the timeline. History you say we must not forget these events, why however must we forget the literary masterpieces ? And science isn't squeaky clean in its benefits to humanity, Global Warming, Obesity... etc. All I'm really saying is that yes science has many of its own benfits, however so do other subjects. And as for the pure mathematicians, being an applied mathematician you could solve far more problems than as an arbitrary unknown pure mathematician, very few pure mathematicians actually contribute to anything substantial to our mathematical knowledge. While they will certainly have a higher probability of contributing to the world via becoming an applied mathematician. :woo:

I said I didn't agree with the OP lol I'm crap at lit so I don't like it but I still find it is usefull
Reply 58
I am afraid I don't fit in a bin, alas I am nearly 6 foot. However the fact you bothered to post clearly shows your intrest and the fact you read it. With nothing to defend analysing literature, you result to insulting the existance of the thread. Anyone can read between the lines here, You Cannot Defend Analysing Literature
Reply 59
Laith
English smells like cow ****.

That's better. I even used a similie.

Sciences smell like social retardation.

Latest

Trending

Trending