The Student Room Group

year 10 mocks help!pls

i am struggling to get stuff done i am scared i want remember info i only have 1 more week may someone give me advice
Reply 1
Original post by uniqueen8888
i am struggling to get stuff done i am scared i want remember info i only have 1 more week may someone give me advice

focus on active recall- writing info down on whiteboards always helps you remember better than just reading notes. Try some past paper questions aswell of your subject so you get a feel for what the questions are like- and lastly, make sure you're taking breaks and taking care of yourself. Exams can be pretty stressful, but trying to stay stress free and doing things you enjoy will definitely help you do better than if you were stressing for a week straight.
My top tip would be:
Before you start revising, do something you enjoy. Listen to your favourite song, read a chapter of your favourite book, play a piece on the piano etc. And when you've done that thing that you enjoy try and learn something, just take five or ten minutes to read it through and make sure tha you understand it (that bit is key, don't try to remember something that doesn't make sense to you, I've made that mistake before and I can tell you it won't work out). When you understand what you are trying to remember, go back to the thing you enjoy doing for a few minutes then learn something new, do the thing you enjoy and then go back to the first thing you learnt to see if you know it.
Repeating what you're trying to learn is the best way to remember something, but by breaking it up with something that you enjoy doing it will motivate you to try your best and not give up.

Best of luck with your exams, let me know if this helps and how your exams go
(edited 10 months ago)

Hi! I have end of years coming up in about a week, so I know how you feel and know that there's plenty you can do right now to help yourself later!
Here are my tips:
- Look at all the subjects you need to revise for and order them based on easiest (you would be able to wing the paper if needed) to hardest (looking at the paper would make you want to scrunch it up and throw it out the window) and my advice would be to start on the hardest subject, it may be difficult to initially get started, but once you do, it will be fine
- Now look at all your topics and first get started on the ones you don't understand and watch a video explanation on them, use the specification as well for you to know what may come up in the exam
- For the topics you're mostly fine with, look at practice questions and don't forget to note down the mark scheme whenever you get a question wrong, that way you reinforce the info in your head

Now since you only have a week left, best thing to do would be to get started on exam-style questions, so you can go on PMT, MME revise, maths genie and gcse maths tutor for example to get some practice done.
I understand it may be overwhelming for you, so don't forget to avoid burnout and try to look after yourself as much as you can as we often put all our confidence and effort into academic achievement (and yes, academic success is relatively important to an extent), but don't lose sight of your life and your personal purpose in it. Don't forget that you don't always need to be academically fulfilled in order to be successful in life, so keep that in mind.

I hope that helps and good luck with your exams!
Reply 4

Heya!

Break down your tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and create a schedule or to-do list to prioritise and track your progress. Set specific, achievable goals for each study session :h: Make sure to take regular breaks, practice self-care, and get enough sleep to optimise your focus and cognitive abilities. Stay motivated by reminding yourself of your goals and the importance of the task at hand!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5

Mock grades don't matter. There is no chance that the pandemic will come back and teachers will need other assessments to grade us. Mocks are there for you to find out what you are good at and what you are struggling with. Sometimes, we think we understand the topic, but in reality, it's surface knowledge. Mocks are for you to identify that strengths and weaknesses and plan out your Y11 revision effectively and correctly.

Quick Reply

Latest