The Student Room Group

doing a degree without knowing the career you want

does doing a degree in a subject you are the most passionate about guarantee that at least one of the careers you can pursue from it will seem appealing to you?

what if someone does a degree in the subject theyre most passionate in without knowing what career they want specifically, but end up not finding a single career they like in that field, despite loving the subject?
Original post by canthinkofone
does doing a degree in a subject you are the most passionate about guarantee that at least one of the careers you can pursue from it will seem appealing to you?

what if someone does a degree in the subject theyre most passionate in without knowing what career they want specifically, but end up not finding a single career they like in that field, despite loving the subject?

Imagine doing a degree in a subject your most passionate in and one in which you give it your all, head down and focused and concentrated yet you don’t come out with the grade classification you had hoped for…?
Reply 2
Original post by Mohammed_80
Imagine doing a degree in a subject your most passionate in and one in which you give it your all, head down and focused and concentrated yet you don’t come out with the grade classification you had hoped for…?

not a very relevant response to the thread.
I have struggled a lot with choosing my uni degree. The vague, more “flexible” options seemed more appealing to me as i had no idea what job i wanted to pursue in the future. However, in my personal experience, i found that choosing a more niche degree, that has a very specific job waiting for me on the other side (dentistry) actually was the best choice because I like the idea of having a certain outcome out of my degree. Take this advice with a pinch of salt though, as many joined or flexible degrees could definitely provide multiple choices for jobs. Any degree you do could land you a job related to what you studied in uni, or even a job not directly related to your degree sometimes. What are you thinking of studying exactly? It does depend on the subject too.
Reply 4
Original post by aafroo
I have struggled a lot with choosing my uni degree. The vague, more “flexible” options seemed more appealing to me as i had no idea what job i wanted to pursue in the future. However, in my personal experience, i found that choosing a more niche degree, that has a very specific job waiting for me on the other side (dentistry) actually was the best choice because I like the idea of having a certain outcome out of my degree. Take this advice with a pinch of salt though, as many joined or flexible degrees could definitely provide multiple choices for jobs. Any degree you do could land you a job related to what you studied in uni, or even a job not directly related to your degree sometimes. What are you thinking of studying exactly? It does depend on the subject too.

Honestly maths and chemistry are my favourite subjects so I was considering doing one of those for university. I was also considering computer science but not to sure on it. Chemistry, it seems, is what I'm most likely going to end up doing.

I would advise and suggest do research into the possible subjects you want to study the career paths and progression and what it takes and how gaining a degree of that particular subject is beneficial for you… I would attend open days, read reviews of the course speak to a programme leader…
Honestly maths and chemistry are my favourite subjects so I was considering doing one of those for university. I was also considering computer science but not to sure on it. Chemistry, it seems, is what I'm most likely going to end up doing.

Chemistry can open up so many doors. You dont have to have every single step of the way planned out. Take it one step at a time. Who knows, you might end up in research or do a masters in some very specific area of chemistry that you enjoyed in your degree. Do what you truly enjoy and opportunities will open up for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending