The Student Room Group

Advice for engineering apprenticeship

Hello I just finished my GCSEs and my brother introduced me to electrical engineering degree apprenticeships. I'm interested in either jaguar or rolls Royce. Does anyone have any advice or experience with them and tips to stand out. Academically I can get above other students but I've heard these are really competitive so need advice on what to do, e.g which work experience to do and when. Thanks
Original post by gagan06.
Hello I just finished my GCSEs and my brother introduced me to electrical engineering degree apprenticeships. I'm interested in either jaguar or rolls Royce. Does anyone have any advice or experience with them and tips to stand out. Academically I can get above other students but I've heard these are really competitive so need advice on what to do, e.g which work experience to do and when. Thanks

These companies will really want to see that you have an interest in electrical engineering and have pursued hobbies and activities that reflect that. My son is currently in his second year of an electrical engineering degree apprenticeship with a very large company and was able to show his interest through things like obtaining his RSGB radio amateur licences, building raspberry pi and arduino projects, taking part in engineering courses such as those run by the Smallpeice Trust etc. Degree apprenticeships are for A-level school leavers so you have time to do some of these things, but you need to keep an eye out for them as they are often advertised in October (so almost a year before you are due to leave school) and the really popular ones are only open for a few days as they get plenty of applications. I advise that you research all the companies you are interested in and keep an eye on them.
Heya,
So my brother is currently in an after GCSE (level 3) apprenticeship at Rolls Royce in engineering.
They have recently changed the application process, there isn’t psychometric tests anymore and rather it’s based very much on personality rather than academic success.
You will still upload a CV and everything, and have an Assessment Centre but they are meant to have allot more emphasis on “getting to know the applicant and a person”. For work experience he recommends something in an operative capacity (eg factory, warehouse, workshop) as it reflects where you will be working.

If you have any other questions I can pass them along, Good luck! 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending