The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Student House

Hey just want some advice on our new house, we’re all going into second year in Cardiff uni and this our first house. We payed all deposits and holding fees in December and when we viewed it they said we could move in first of July 2023 to move in our stuff and get the key.We contacted them near this date to confirm and it is stated in our contract that we occupy it on the first of July 2023. They’ve now said we cannot access it at all till the 1st of September. With no day to move in our stuff or have keys. We are paying half rent in July and August but we don’t know what we are paying for? I’ve contacted them saying this and they’ve said it’s a retainer fee. Other people have said that they’re paying half rent but they can move in some stuff they just can’t fully live there? I don’t get what we’re actually paying for if we have no access. Has anyone else had problems with KEYLET or can anyone shed some light on this issue? thankyou :smile:
Original post by saffcaldwell
Hey just want some advice on our new house, we’re all going into second year in Cardiff uni and this our first house. We payed all deposits and holding fees in December and when we viewed it they said we could move in first of July 2023 to move in our stuff and get the key.We contacted them near this date to confirm and it is stated in our contract that we occupy it on the first of July 2023. They’ve now said we cannot access it at all till the 1st of September. With no day to move in our stuff or have keys. We are paying half rent in July and August but we don’t know what we are paying for? I’ve contacted them saying this and they’ve said it’s a retainer fee. Other people have said that they’re paying half rent but they can move in some stuff they just can’t fully live there? I don’t get what we’re actually paying for if we have no access. Has anyone else had problems with KEYLET or can anyone shed some light on this issue? thankyou :smile:

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you're having these problems. From my experience, it's pretty standard to pay half rent in July (possibly also August) but I've always been able to store things there (and return the keys until I move in) in that time. For more advice, the student union have a great webpage, which you can find here, for help/ advice. They also do contract checks if you email them ([email protected]), and they can tell you what to do next.

I hope this helps:smile:

Jaz - Cardiff Student Rep
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending