The Student Room Group

Can my college withhold my certificate for not doing work experience?

I just finished studying Fashion and Textiles at college. I have completed the exam and everything required from the exam boards however the college have said they will withhold our certificates if we do not complete 30 hours of work experience.

I struggled to find any and was wondering whether they are allowed to not give us the certificate considering work experience has nothing to do with the exam or the exam board and is just a personal thing they have set. I worked hard on the exam and did everything required so thought it was slightly unfair they’re doing this.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Rather than focus on the negative side, why don't you start being a bit more proactive at getting the experience you need? We are talking one week of work here so it isn't like it is mission impossible.

Have you contacted your tutors for some guidance?
Have you telephoned potential companies that can offer you experience?
Have you put together a pitch that you can give to get them to accept you?
Have you pulled together a portfolio you can show off?
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
Rather than focus on the negative side, why don't you start being a bit more proactive at getting the experience you need? We are talking one week of work here so it isn't like it is mission impossible.

Have you contacted your tutors for some guidance?
Have you telephoned potential companies that can offer you experience?
Have you put together a pitch that you can give to get them to accept you?
Have you pulled together a portfolio you can show off?

I understand what you’re saying, it’s easier now during summer to find WE however when you have a ton of coursework and strict deadlines it isn’t exactly a priority at the time.
That depends, is the work experience a required part of the course? If so then you haven't actually completed all required components and so it's not that they're witholding it, it's that you literally haven't completed the requirements for it.

If it's not a required part of the course then you will need to refer to the college's policies - as it may be the have a general policy that all "graduates" from there need to have completed XYZ work experience, in which case they may well be able to require that.

If that is not listed there either then it seems quite arbitrary and probably worth discussing with them.
Both college courses I did, a City & Guilds Diploma and a Higher National Certificate had mandatory work experience elements, it was v much part of the course with researching and approaching the employer being key parts. I'd be a bit confused about a college having an informal work exp element that affects your grade in any way? I don't see how they would record the result and it would possibly have safeguarding implications,
Reply 5
Original post by bxa_842
I understand what you’re saying, it’s easier now during summer to find WE however when you have a ton of coursework and strict deadlines it isn’t exactly a priority at the time.

Except it is because without it you have nothing. There is a saying that if you want something done, give the job to a busy person. There is always time to do extra on top of your regular coursework.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
That depends, is the work experience a required part of the course? If so then you haven't actually completed all required components and so it's not that they're witholding it, it's that you literally haven't completed the requirements for it.

If it's not a required part of the course then you will need to refer to the college's policies - as it may be the have a general policy that all "graduates" from there need to have completed XYZ work experience, in which case they may well be able to require that.

If that is not listed there either then it seems quite arbitrary and probably worth discussing with them.

It isn’t required, it’s just a separate thing that our Course Teacher has set. And thanks for the suggestion.
Reply 7
Original post by hotpud
Except it is because without it you have nothing. There is a saying that if you want something done, give the job to a busy person. There is always time to do extra on top of your regular coursework.

I forgot to mention the fact that I have a part time retail job, which they wont accept because it has to be course related, which I would have to use my annual holidays to book off hence why it has been difficult to find time to apply for and complete WE. Otherwise I agree that it wouldn't be hard to do with coursework.
Reply 8
Original post by bxa_842
I forgot to mention the fact that I have a part time retail job, which they wont accept because it has to be course related, which I would have to use my annual holidays to book off hence why it has been difficult to find time to apply for and complete WE. Otherwise I agree that it wouldn't be hard to do with coursework.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why taking a couple of days of annual leave to find work experience for your future is a bad thing. I take it you don't have kids. If so, I don't think you realise just how much free time you actually have. So far, all I am hearing are excuses. Would you hire you?

Good luck!
Original post by hotpud
I'm sorry, but I don't understand why taking a couple of days of annual leave to find work experience for your future is a bad thing. I take it you don't have kids. If so, I don't think you realise just how much free time you actually have. So far, all I am hearing are excuses. Would you hire you?

Good luck!

I don’t think that you’re understanding the OP’s point. The work experience that being set isn’t part of course.

It would be like a teacher/the exam board refusing to give me my A-level French grade/certificate because I didn’t bother to get some work experience where I’d be having to speak in French despite the work experience not being an official assessed component of the A-level French course.

Also kind of ignorant to assume and imply that because someone doesn’t have kids that they must have lots of free time in my honest opinion.

Original post by bxa_842
It isn’t required, it’s just a separate thing that our Course Teacher has set. And thanks for the suggestion.

Also moved to secondary school, sixth form and fe college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending