The Student Room Group

No response regarding application

Hello-

I applied for a Master's program and the University of Westminster. I applied late, on May 1st. I emailed two months after my application but didn't hear anything back. I finally called on July 17th as I heard that is the deadline to hear back. Although I saw on the course's page that the course for that year was full and was not taking any new applications. I couldn't get through to the specific courses advisor but talked to the general admissions team. Later that night I received an email inviting me to fill out a Fee Assessment form (without an offer letter attached to it). I haven't heard anything back since. I called again today and they told me the advisor is out but they have put my application in high priority since I called and recommended I call back next week.

I am only going to assume at this point I didn't get in considering online it says it's full. However, I am a bit confused as to why I haven't received a rejection and why I was given the Fee Assessment Form. Does anyone have any insight as to why this is? Has anyone had a similar situation happen? Do you think they're holding onto my application in case someone withdraws?
Reply 1
Original post by prospecstudent
Hello-

I applied for a Master's program and the University of Westminster. I applied late, on May 1st. I emailed two months after my application but didn't hear anything back. I finally called on July 17th as I heard that is the deadline to hear back. Although I saw on the course's page that the course for that year was full and was not taking any new applications. I couldn't get through to the specific courses advisor but talked to the general admissions team. Later that night I received an email inviting me to fill out a Fee Assessment form (without an offer letter attached to it). I haven't heard anything back since. I called again today and they told me the advisor is out but they have put my application in high priority since I called and recommended I call back next week.

I am only going to assume at this point I didn't get in considering online it says it's full. However, I am a bit confused as to why I haven't received a rejection and why I was given the Fee Assessment Form. Does anyone have any insight as to why this is? Has anyone had a similar situation happen? Do you think they're holding onto my application in case someone withdraws?

They should have told you whether you got a place or not before asking you to fill out a fee form. I'm not sure if you need an official offer letter as I haven't done a masters but don't pay if you haven't been given a place yet. It does sound like you don't have a confirmed place yet and that you're on a waiting list. Do you plan on going elsewhere if you don't get in?
Hello-

Edit: Sorry, just saw that you are applying for a Masters programme. In that case, yes, you are a bit at their mercy as to when they want to reply. Sounds as if you have given them a nudge though.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Andi.0k
They should have told you whether you got a place or not before asking you to fill out a fee form. I'm not sure if you need an official offer letter as I haven't done a masters but don't pay if you haven't been given a place yet. It does sound like you don't have a confirmed place yet and that you're on a waiting list. Do you plan on going elsewhere if you don't get in?

The Fee Assessment Form is to determine whether I get Home or Overseas fees so there is no invoice attached to it. I've read some universities send them before sending an offer letter so they can submit the tuition amount with the offer letter, other universities include them with the offer letter. But I think you're right. Sounds like I'm on a waiting list, seems my only hope is if someone defers or withdraws their acceptance. I guess I will have to be patient and wait to find out more on Monday. This was the only program I applied to as its the only Software Engineering Conversion course I could find in London that was in-person. I am a working professional though so it's not the end of the world if I don't get in this year.

Thank you for your response!
Original post by Admit-One
That's strange, the deadline for them to get back to you for a late application was the 12th of July. UCAS should have made you unsuccessful automatically after that date, (although this may have been affected by one of the embargo periods).

If they sent you a fee form then it's likely you're still being considered.

Ah, the deadline for late application was the 12th of July, thank you for that correction! Interesting that my application wasn't automatically made unsuccessful. I wonder if the universities have any power to prevent that from happening. What is the embargo period? Sorry, I am new to the UK higher education system.

Ah, the deadline for late application was the 12th of July, thank you for that correction! Interesting that my application wasn't automatically made unsuccessful. I wonder if the universities have any power to prevent that from happening. What is the embargo period? Sorry, I am new to the UK higher education system.

Apologies, I've correct my original reply as I hadn't spotted that you were a postgrad applicant, (and I'm assuming it's a standalone Masters, not a 4-5yr integrated one?).

Edit: Sorry, just saw that you are applying for a Masters programme. In that case, yes, you are a bit at their mercy as to when they want to reply. Sounds as if you have given them a nudge though.
Apologies, I've correct my original reply as I hadn't spotted that you were a postgrad applicant, (and I'm assuming it's a standalone Masters, not a 4-5yr integrated one?).

Yes, it’s a standalone 1 year Masters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending