The Student Room Group

I feel so stupid

I’ve just started an internship and I just hate it. I’m constantly tired and I feel so dumb when I ask questions. My role is pretty excel based and I’ve realised how much I don’t know about excel. I’ve used basic formula’s like SumIF’s but never on large data sets.

I’m constantly asking my manager for help and I feel more like a liability. I’m interning with another student and they understand everything so quickly, barely asking for help. Both my managers rlly like her and compliment her, whereas I have to force them to smile when they see me.

I hate this internship so much, I don’t know what to do.
heyyy its ok try not to worry.

In the beginning it can be tough and difficult but you will get there in the end. Ik it seems hard rn but it will get easier with time and try not to compare yourself with other people. Everyone learns at their own pace and u 2 are in the same role and will reach the same goal.
It is not a competition and you need to trust in yourself and have some faith.
Perhaps to help extend your knowledge you could read around. Tell them what is troubling you and ask for their help. your manager should be understanding and be helpful too so don't feel embarrassed. They know you wont be experienced at first hand and will know your limits.
Perhaps you could also ask the other intern for some help. Form a friendship and an alliance with them rather than seeing them as an arch-nemesis and competition. things will turn out better and more chilled and you will feel better too !
Don't feel dumb when asking questions. It's all a learning kurb and you are going up in steps.

I hope that helps and i wish you the best of luck :smile: <3
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
heyyy its ok try not to worry.

In the beginning it can be tough and difficult but you will get there in the end. Ik it seems hard rn but it will get easier with time and try not to compare yourself with other people. Everyone learns at their own pace and u 2 are in the same role and will reach the same goal.
It is not a competition and you need to trust in yourself and have some faith.
Perhaps to help extend your knowledge you could read around. Tell them what is troubling you and ask for their help. your manager should be understanding and be helpful too so don't feel embarrassed. They know you wont be experienced at first hand and will know your limits.
Perhaps you could also ask the other intern for some help. Form a friendship and an alliance with them rather than seeing them as an arch-nemesis and competition. things will turn out better and more chilled and you will feel better too !
Don't feel dumb when asking questions. It's all a learning kurb and you are going up in steps.

I hope that helps and i wish you the best of luck :smile: <3

The other intern seems to be a lot better than me as they have a background in the finance which is related to the internship. I study something completely different. They always tries to speak over me and one up me. They are very annoying and I can’t tolerate it anymore. What can I do? I’m trying my best but I feel they are trying to out perform me and succeeding in doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending