The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official Durham University freshers 2023 chat

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Today I was allocated a "shared, standard room with shared bathroom facilities" at St John's college, and I've just got a few questions because I can't find much info online :smile:

What are the rooms like, are they all huge (I'd hope) or are some of them quite small for sharing? Is there only one sink?
Will I be able to get in touch with my roommate before we arrive?
How many people will be sharing the bathrooms?

Thanks
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
Today I was allocated a "shared, standard room with shared bathroom facilities" at St John's college, and I've just got a few questions because I can't find much info online :smile:

What are the rooms like, are they all huge (I'd hope) or are some of them quite small for sharing? Is there only one sink?
Will I be able to get in touch with my roommate before we arrive?
How many people will be sharing the bathrooms?

Thanks

Hiya

I've found a blog on John's website by a student who shared a room in college. I think this will help clear some things up for you: https://johnschronicle.org/2018/09/20/sharing-a-room/

-Himieka
Original post by EloraPuff
When I try to log onto the banner self service it keeps saying 'login forbidden', I dont know if I'm doing something wrong or if its not working

Hi there

Is there a particular reason why you need to access Banner? Admissions told me that once you accept your offer, your student record is locked and you don't need to reaccess the portal. This is why it has been locked.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 23
Is there anyone else from Castle who is yet to receive their room allocation? Am still waiting.
Original post by JP2020
Is there anyone else from Castle who is yet to receive their room allocation? Am still waiting.

Yes. Not sure how many others are still waiting tho.
Yes. Not sure how many others are still waiting tho.

Yes, my DD still waiting too. Wrote to college admissions team, and the reply was to wait, and that they can't tell you anything.....so at this point, the only option is just to sit tight. There is a priority list for college allocations. First priority are applicants who firmed Durham and met or exceeded their offer. Second, those who firmed Durham and were accepted as near misses. Third are Insurance applicants, Fourth Clearing. So if you fall into one of these categories, you would have some idea what your chances are. However, I am beginning to think those who haven't heard back yet, are possibly being reallocated....sadly...(I've bought sheets DUH....)
Reply 26
Original post by leannebupe
Yes, my DD still waiting too. Wrote to college admissions team, and the reply was to wait, and that they can't tell you anything.....so at this point, the only option is just to sit tight. There is a priority list for college allocations. First priority are applicants who firmed Durham and met or exceeded their offer. Second, those who firmed Durham and were accepted as near misses. Third are Insurance applicants, Fourth Clearing. So if you fall into one of these categories, you would have some idea what your chances are. However, I am beginning to think those who haven't heard back yet, are possibly being reallocated....sadly...(I've bought sheets DUH....)

Can you be reallocated even if you met the offer? I met the offer and was allocated to castle previously and haven’t heard anything.
Reply 27
Original post by JP2020
Can you be reallocated even if you met the offer? I met the offer and was allocated to castle previously and haven’t heard anything.

Durham was also my firm
According to Durham’s website these colleges are full:
- Collingwood College
- St Chad's College
- St John's College
- St Mary's College
- University College

Which unfortunately means anyone who was provisionally allocated to one of these colleges and has not heard back will be reallocated I’m assuming. I’m gutted about this as I was initially allocated Mary’s but haven’t heard back (Durham was my firm and I was a near miss - A* A B instead of A A A)
Original post by JP2020

Anything is possible at this stage. The College Allocation dept is remaining non-committal on any reply. They did mention that reallocations are possible, but that their reply was not an indication that this was the case. So, maybe, but not definitely... so who knows..? Can this be any more stressful?...
Reply 30
Original post by leannebupe
Anything is possible at this stage. The College Allocation dept is remaining non-committal on any reply. They did mention that reallocations are possible, but that their reply was not an indication that this was the case. So, maybe, but not definitely... so who knows..? Can this be any more stressful?...

It’s pretty gutting. All the stress was over a levels and getting the results. This would be just a joke. I’ve firmed them and met my offer just to probably be told yeah we are changing your college.
I’m also still waiting. It feels so unfair that most people have been allocated and there are others like me who can’t access anything, get ready and prepared and feel excited. I was provisionally allocated Collingwood and have heard nothing and have no login in details either. Any advice on what to do to try and find out what is going on? And does this mean I definitely haven’t got Collingwood?
I’m also still waiting. It feels so unfair that most people have been allocated and there are others like me who can’t access anything, get ready and prepared and feel excited. I was provisionally allocated Collingwood and have heard nothing and have no login in details either. Any advice on what to do to try and find out what is going on? And does this mean I definitely haven’t got Collingwood?

I emailed the St Mary’s admissions the other day and the response was very much “you’ll know when you know” so I guess you could try emailing Collingwood but I imagine it will be a similar response unfortunately. I’m finding it really annoying as well cause I want to be able to get everything ready and also not knowing where I’m living in 4 weeks is stressing me out
Reply 33
I emailed the St Mary’s admissions the other day and the response was very much “you’ll know when you know” so I guess you could try emailing Collingwood but I imagine it will be a similar response unfortunately. I’m finding it really annoying as well cause I want to be able to get everything ready and also not knowing where I’m living in 4 weeks is stressing me out

Do we know if by “full” they mean that they are all allocated, but not necessarily emails sent?
ie - I may have been allocated castle as expected, and may be part of the “full” bracket but haven’t yet been sent an email.
Reply 34

Same as you but with castle, really annoying since I had the highest priority for the accommodation, doesn’t really make sense.
I really really hope so! And I really hope there will be some news early next week. I’m going to call admissions but don’t hold out much hope for an answer..
Original post by JP2020
Same as you but with castle, really annoying since I had the highest priority for the accommodation, doesn’t really make sense.

Same. Gap year here with grades that well exceed standard offer. Firmed (and received final decision received email) in Spring yet no allocation confirmation. It’s enormously stressful. Hopefully, it’s just a case of not having received the email as yet. Good luck 🍀
I also thought publishing that statement on website saying that 77% of people are allocated and listing full colleges but then nothing about what that means for people who haven’t heard was really not helpful… feels like excluding some entirely for no clear reason.. any Uni reps on here who can help explain what is happening. ?!
Reply 38
I also thought publishing that statement on website saying that 77% of people are allocated and listing full colleges but then nothing about what that means for people who haven’t heard was really not helpful… feels like excluding some entirely for no clear reason.. any Uni reps on here who can help explain what is happening. ?!

Oh god, 77%? That's very worrying... By the way, where can I see that statement? I'm having trouble finding it.
Yes, very true. Stating that 77% have been allocated yet so many still not having heard anything, makes us feel abandoned and feeling lost.

Quick Reply

Latest