The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official Durham University freshers 2023 chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I am having trouble with the online enrolment. I emailed the college I was allocated (St. Chad's) but they haven't gotten back to me. Could someone please help me out?

For one, in the 'Financial Information' section there is no option for Student Finance England/SLC in the drop down menu under 'Main Sponsor Contributing To Fee'. SLC is covering my entire tuition fee so I am not sure what to put down in this section.

I am also having trouble uploading a photograph. Although the one I have chosen is being displayed, I am unable to click the continue button as it says no file has been uploaded. Then, when I try to upload a file, it says I cannot because a photograph has already been uploaded. A tick does appear next to the photograph page in the enrolment checklist but I just want to make sure that it is actually filled in correctly.

Thank you!

I had the same issue with the photo and so i tried saving the photo to my camera roll and uploading it from there (i did it on an ipad). A couple hours after i did that i got an email saying my photo was approved.
I selected none or other for the sponsor section bc i assumed that was if you had a person or company paying your tuition and plus the section above i had already specified that.

hope this helps!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I had the same issue with the photo and so i tried saving the photo to my camera roll and uploading it from there (i did it on an ipad). A couple hours after i did that i got an email saying my photo was approved.
I selected none or other for the sponsor section bc i assumed that was if you had a person or company paying your tuition and plus the section above i had already specified that.

hope this helps!

Thank you so much!
Reply 62
I got a provisional place at st johns but ive still not got any news about accomodation or colleges so ive not been able to pay the deposit, is this is an issue with anyone else?
Original post by Delta1570
I got a provisional place at st johns but ive still not got any news about accomodation or colleges so ive not been able to pay the deposit, is this is an issue with anyone else?

Yes I had a provisional from Collingwood and have received nothing.. it’s worrying… don’t know what to do about it!
Hey!
I'm Louis, I am coming to Durham to study the joint honours in Psychology and Anthropology!
I like hanging around with animals, especially my friends. I'm currently into speculative evolution, politics and linguistics.
I'm really looking forward to meeting people and making new friends in a community of people pursuing their interests!
For accommodation, I have been allocated to Stephenson, in a shared ensuite. If anyone is also going there, let me know, because we'll possibly be neighbours!
Hope y'all have fun arriving and settling in!
Original post by Durham Students
Massive congratulations to all the incoming freshers, you all make me proud. You have so much to look forward to in the next couple of years and I hope you cherish this time while it lasts. In preparation for coming to Durham, I've written a blog that you will find helpful. Read it and let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I'm always around to help you :wink:

-Himieka

Hi. I have received my password for the durham portal but not my username so I can't login and complete my enrolment. Who should I contact about this and what should I do?
Anyone waiting for a college heard anything today?
Reply 67
Anyone waiting for a college heard anything today?

Not from my college. But I did email my provisional college - Castle, they did say that ALL colleges are still making allocations. I don’t think we should panic just yet. Given that if allocations are still being made nothing has necessarily changed from prior to the statement .
Just wondering has any international students received their CAS? I have been waiting since results day (17th August) and have not received any news. I’ve been allocated an accommodation at my college too, so i’m not sure what the problem is….
Hi. I have received my password for the durham portal but not my username so I can't login and complete my enrolment. Who should I contact about this and what should I do?

Hi there

In the first instance I'd suggest that you check your inbox properly- including the junk folder- to ensure that you haven't received an email with your username. That's because the password email is sent out 24 hours after the email with the username. Once you're sure that you didn't receive the email, you should contact the CIS department- info is on this page.

-Himieka
Just wondering has any international students received their CAS? I have been waiting since results day (17th August) and have not received any news. I’ve been allocated an accommodation at my college too, so i’m not sure what the problem is….

Hi there

I'm an international student too and can tell you that it takes a while for the CAS to be processed. In my case, I received my pre-CAS 22 days after sending in my results and then the CAS came 3 days after that. Issuing CAS is a pretty lengthy process and requires cooperation on part of UKVI as well and since many unis across the UK are sending them CAS requests, it creates a backlog. It's not an issue on your side, so please don't worry. Just ensure that you've sent the admissions team all the docs that they asked for in your offer letter (and accepted your offer on the student portal) and hopefully you'll receive your CAS soon :crossedf:

-Himieka
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

I'm an international student too and can tell you that it takes a while for the CAS to be processed. In my case, I received my pre-CAS 22 days after sending in my results and then the CAS came 3 days after that. Issuing CAS is a pretty lengthy process and requires cooperation on part of UKVI as well and since many unis across the UK are sending them CAS requests, it creates a backlog. It's not an issue on your side, so please don't worry. Just ensure that you've sent the admissions team all the docs that they asked for in your offer letter (and accepted your offer on the student portal) and hopefully you'll receive your CAS soon :crossedf:

-Himieka

Thank you!! I’ve heard that other students have received theirs and it’s starting to worry me. I have already booked my flight ticket and without the CAS, i cannot proceed further with my visa application. I’m afraid the visa will not come in time. Do you think I should call them?
Thank you!! I’ve heard that other students have received theirs and it’s starting to worry me. I have already booked my flight ticket and without the CAS, i cannot proceed further with my visa application. I’m afraid the visa will not come in time. Do you think I should call them?

The fact that other students have started to receive CAS should only send a good message because that means they've started processing it and yours is in the line also. I was worried about my visa as well but I ended up getting it processed on a priority basis so I received my visa within 3 days after completing my biometrics. It costs more than the general application but I'd say it's not worth taking the risk of not getting your visa on time. I have a friend who had to get the super-priority processing done and she got her visa within a day. Hopefully, you wouldn't have to do that but it's good to have knowledge of it in case things go south.

-Himieka
Hi! I was just wondering if any current students could give advice on the unisex Durham hoodies? I've been invited to preorder one for a course I'm on so I can't try on for size! Specifically, trying to work out if an XS or a S is safer. I'm usually a women's 8-10 which is the XS, and I don't really like overly baggy hoodies, but it would be so annoying for it be be too small to be comfy! Any advice would be appreciated!
Hi,
Today I was allocated a "shared, standard room with shared bathroom facilities" at St John's college, and I've just got a few questions because I can't find much info online :smile:

What are the rooms like, are they all huge (I'd hope) or are some of them quite small for sharing? Is there only one sink?
Will I be able to get in touch with my roommate before we arrive?
How many people will be sharing the bathrooms?

Thanks

Hi, I have also been assigned to the shared standard room at St. John's College!!! As far as I know, two people share the same bathroom. By the way, can you open the website in the reply below? Why can't I open it?
Has anyone who fits the profile for the first guarantee of provisional college been reallocated yet? (ie: if you met/ exceeded grades, firmed as first choice etc). Still waiting and, although I know / understand / appreciate we are being told to wait until 6.9 am just trying to work out the likelihood of reallocation. TIA.
Original post by Joey has a cat
Hi, I have also been assigned to the shared standard room at St. John's College!!! As far as I know, two people share the same bathroom. By the way, can you open the website in the reply below? Why can't I open it?

Have you just received this in last couple days? Trying to work out if any allocations still coming out of “full” colleges
No, I received accommodation offer before 1.5-2 month ago.
Have you just received this in last couple days? Trying to work out if any allocations still coming out of “full” colleges
Has anyone had a provisional offer confirmed or been reallocated this week?
Has anyone had a provisional offer confirmed or been reallocated this week?

Still waiting 😞

Quick Reply

Latest