The Student Room Group

Really Worried about Grade

I had a really tough exam earlier in the year and didn't pass it, though I did achieved an extremely high mark on the coursework which has carried my exam grade and provided me a good passing mark for the overall module.

I didn't find out that I failed the exam until a lot later, because I didn't bother to check my specific score - but I didn't receive anything about resitting the exam for that module at all.

However I did receive an email from my courses' faculty admin saying they had an assessment committee meeting and in the email they stated; 'Pass mark has been achieved; no further re-assessment required at the time of this communication.'

My friend who was previously a student rep says this is fine, but did I really have nothing more to do for this? I still feel stressed about this.
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
I had a really tough exam earlier in the year and didn't pass it, though I did achieved an extremely high mark on the coursework which has carried my exam grade and provided me a good passing mark for the overall module.

I didn't find out that I failed the exam until a lot later, because I didn't bother to check my specific score - but I didn't receive anything about resitting the exam for that module at all.

However I did receive an email from my courses' faculty admin saying they had an assessment committee meeting and in the email they stated; 'Pass mark has been achieved; no further re-assessment required at the time of this communication.'

My friend who was previously a student rep says this is fine, but did I really have nothing more to do for this? I still feel stressed about this.

Hi Anon,

This sounds like a stressful experience, but it is reassuring to have that email saying that you'd achieved a pass mark.

From what you'd said, it sounds like you have passed, especially as you've received the email to say so. If you are still concerned, I'd recommend emailing your PAT/personal tutor, programme leader, and/or module leader to ask them to clarify and see if there is anything more that you need to do.

I hope this helps,
Isabella
Reply 3
Very often a course can be passed by the aggregated mark, viz. the total of all aspects of assessment, even if the exam has been failed. That is what has happened here. entirely normal, nothing to worry about - congratulations!
Anon,

It's upsetting to not have done as well as you had hoped in the exam, but it's great that you have passed overall : )

It might be worthwhile to find out more about the exam and where you lost marks, in case there are areas to learn from this year, but after that try to put it behind you.

You don't want to be carrying last year into this year, when you have new modules to focus on.

Try and improve your exam technique if it's something like time management, answering the question fully, or reading the question carefully, but then move on.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous

Hiya,

Just to be absolutely sure and for the peace of mind, email your faculty admin to confirm that you have passed the module and that you don't need to resit the exam component. From what you have described, I am pretty sure you have passed.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending