The Student Room Group

Mathematics as medicine undergraduate backup option

I am currently in year 13 studying Maths, FM, chemistry and physics and looking at studying medicine at university however am having some issues in choosing a 5th backup option. I want to do mathematics (or theoretical physics) but because my personal statement is only medical dont know if this is likely or achievable especially if I want to go to a decent university. Got 3300 on UCAT so pretty confident of getting at least interviews for medical schools but still want to get this right.
Is maths a reasonable backup option for medicine? Will having a medical personal statment reduce my chances of getting an offer to maths courses? Is it unrealistic to try to get into a higher ranked uni for a maths backup course?
Thanks.
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
As far as I'm aware, the only courses that accept Medical personal statement are those that are somewhat involved with Medicine - that is, Biomedicine, Pharmacy, etc. Maths is, as I hope you appreciate, not very related to Medicine so I don't think they'll accept it. But, this is a crazy, crazy world so they just might? You could email some universities you want to apply for Maths and explain your situation and ask them if they'd accept a second personal statement...

But, I have to admit to you, it doesn't compute, wanting to apply to Medicine and Maths. It seems to me that's what someone undecided about Medicine would do. Is this the case? Would you mind enlightening us a little bit about this peculiar decision? :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
I recall in previous years there were people making similar choices who did receive offers for maths with a medical personal statement. Not sure how you could search for their posts?
Original post by Scotland Yard
As far as I'm aware, the only courses that accept Medical personal statement are those that are somewhat involved with Medicine - that is, Biomedicine, Pharmacy, etc. Maths is, as I hope you appreciate, not very related to Medicine so I don't think they'll accept it. But, this is a crazy, crazy world so they just might? You could email some universities you want to apply for Maths and explain your situation and ask them if they'd accept a second personal statement...

But, I have to admit to you, it doesn't compute, wanting to apply to Medicine and Maths. It seems to me that's what someone undecided about Medicine would do. Is this the case? Would you mind enlightening us a little bit about this peculiar decision? :smile:

As you seem to have gathered, it is partly because I am not completely decided on medicine. I also really enjoy Maths and have found it to be a subject that I excel in so think it would be interesting to do at uni should I fail to be accepted to medicine. I didnt know that universities could accept secondary personal statement, is this common? I am planning on calling a few maths departments this week to see if they can enlighten me.
Original post by cautionary-mania
As you seem to have gathered, it is partly because I am not completely decided on medicine. I also really enjoy Maths and have found it to be a subject that I excel in so think it would be interesting to do at uni should I fail to be accepted to medicine. I didnt know that universities could accept secondary personal statement, is this common? I am planning on calling a few maths departments this week to see if they can enlighten me.

It's rare but it's not unheard of either. But it depends on the university and course - and probably how over or undersubscribed the course is, and you need to ask beforehand. Also note that you'd send the second statement directly to the university, bypassing UCAS. But it's honestly a bad idea, since it shows you're undecided and universities will not be big fans of that.

Medicine is a huge, huge commitment with very far-reaching consequences for your life. I'd advise you to be totally, completely, unequivocally and absolutely sure about Medicine before applying. If you're not sure, you really should think about applying to do Maths on all your options instead.
Reply 6
Original post by Scotland Yard
It's rare but it's not unheard of either. But it depends on the university and course - and probably how over or undersubscribed the course is, and you need to ask beforehand. Also note that you'd send the second statement directly to the university, bypassing UCAS. But it's honestly a bad idea, since it shows you're undecided and universities will not be big fans of that.

Medicine is a huge, huge commitment with very far-reaching consequences for your life. I'd advise you to be totally, completely, unequivocally and absolutely sure about Medicine before applying. If you're not sure, you really should think about applying to do Maths on all your options instead.

Is your suggestion that the OP should not select a fifth (backup - non medicine) option?
Original post by ajj2000
Is your suggestion that the OP should not select a fifth (backup - non medicine) option?

No. My suggestion is that OP should be really clear on what he wants to do and move forward accordingly.
Original post by cautionary-mania
I am currently in year 13 studying Maths, FM, chemistry and physics and looking at studying medicine at university however am having some issues in choosing a 5th backup option. I want to do mathematics (or theoretical physics) but because my personal statement is only medical dont know if this is likely or achievable especially if I want to go to a decent university. Got 3300 on UCAT so pretty confident of getting at least interviews for medical schools but still want to get this right.
Is maths a reasonable backup option for medicine? Will having a medical personal statment reduce my chances of getting an offer to maths courses? Is it unrealistic to try to get into a higher ranked uni for a maths backup course?
Thanks.

These are two massively different subjects and careers.
The most important thing for you is to decide what you really want to do. I suspect you MAY be thinking of medicine purely because of reputation rather then what YOU enjoy. Do not do medicine and if your heart is not in it.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending