The Student Room Group

At risk of redundancy - Apprentice - Advice/guidance

Hey guys,

So I'm a level 5 apprentice, who has completed 2 out of 3 years of the course, and my employer has put me at risk of redundancy.
I've been told it's because I'm behind on uni work, not so behind that its unsalvageable, but uni told me I can work till a later date than expected and should be no impact on the company.

If anyone has been through redundancy as an apprentice could you give me any advice on what to do?
If you were made redundant and found another employer, how did you do it?
Any other advice about this situation is also appreciated.

cheers in advance
Reply 1
Original post by Dondeep
Hey guys,

So I'm a level 5 apprentice, who has completed 2 out of 3 years of the course, and my employer has put me at risk of redundancy.
I've been told it's because I'm behind on uni work, not so behind that its unsalvageable, but uni told me I can work till a later date than expected and should be no impact on the company.

If anyone has been through redundancy as an apprentice could you give me any advice on what to do?

cheers in advance

The government advice for these situations can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/redundancy-support-for-apprentices

hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Dondeep
Hey guys,

cheers in advance

Are you sure this is a redundancy situation and not a capability/ poor performance case?
Reply 3
It doesn’t sound like a redundancy situation, as this relates to a role being removed in the organisation and you would not typically link this decision to underperformance. It seems like they could be considered ending the contract as you have not met requirements. This needs very careful handling, both in terms of showing willingness to you employer to get back on track and also in getting some legal or trade union advise on your rights

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending