The Student Room Group

The STAR Technique to Write Personal Statements

Writing your personal statement can seem like an overwhelming task. Where do you start? What should you include?

Relax, I’ve got you covered! Let’s try the ABC method.

When writing your personal statement, break down your points in to:
A for Action what have you done?
B for Benefit what skills have you gained?
C for Course how has this prepared you for your chosen course?

For example, if I was to apply for my fashion design degree again, I could write…

ACTION: In 2022, I completed my Foundation Diploma in Art and Design.

BENEFIT: This helped me learn about building up my sketchbooks and portfolios and has given me an understanding of pattern cutting.

COURSE: This will help me begin my degree with confidence, as I can apply my knowledge of patterns and new portfolio skills to my assignments.

And that’s one ABC complete! You can use this method to create points to simply add into your
statement, or to help generate some ideas if you’re feeling a bit stuck.

Maybe you could start by making a list of all the things you’re done so far that could be an ‘action’ in your personal statement. Then you can easily work these into your writing by following them up with the ‘benefits’ and how they’ve prepared you for your chosen ‘course’.

Good luck everyone and ask any more questions about personal statements below!
Emily :smile:
The example you’ve given wouldn’t be very helpful in a creative PS. Your qualifications are listed in your education section and admissions staff for creative universities know what a FAD course involves and the learning outcomes.

For the vast majority of PSs the “C” bit of this isn’t going to be a good use of space. It’s pointing out something that the reader (admissions staff and academic staff involved in admissions decisions) already knows. With a restricted number of lines/characters sticking to information the reader of a PS doesn’t know is crucial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending