Article: Get your personal statement draft reviewed by a TSR PS reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Please read this first: information about our PS review service is here

Who is eligible for a review?

This is a member benefit.

Our PS reviewers are volunteers and prioritise reviews to established members of TSR (who have made 100 posts or more). Personal statements submitted by members with fewer posts might be reviewed after a longer wait or if there are no outstanding reviews for established members.

If you would like to minimise your waiting time for a review then we recommend that you take some time to contribute to the site engaging in discussions and answering study help questions to increase your post count before submitting.

PS review submission forum is here and will open on Monday 8th August.

Who runs this service?

The service is completely volunteer-led with the support of The Student Room's community team.
    What does the personal statement review service offer to students?
    • This is a peer-run service managed by volunteers and community team who have both considerable experiencing of reviewing personal statements and have been through the university application process themselves.
    • Previously the volunteers ran The Student Room's PS Help service between 2005 and 2012 completing over 10,000 personal statement reviews.
    • TSR members submit their final UCAS personal statement draft confidentially into a private forum where only PS reviewers can view the content.
    • Members are provided with advice and feedback on the content and structure of their personal statement, this may include recommendations for improvements to spelling, grammar and wording.
    • Your personal statement will not be rewritten for you and you are expected to have checked the spelling and grammar before submitting.
    • Where possible a reviewer with expert knowledge on the subject will provide a review.
    Is there anything I need to do before submitted my personal statement

Yes, to ensure the draft you submit is to a good standard please format it using our Personal Statement Builder. Once you have added all of your content you'll be able to work through a checklist as well as being provided with feedback on your character and line count usage and a review of any clichéd words or phrases. It's worth changing these at this stage as the PS reviewer will tell you to the same.

Make sure that the final draft of your personal statement is between 3,000 and 4,500 characters. Statements that are much too long or short will not be reviewed.

How long will the review take?

We aim to complete reviews within 5 working days. Please don't submit your personal statement for review if you have a deadline within two weeks as you are unlikely to have time for a review and a redraft before your deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Post any questions you have about the PS review service here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Post any questions you have about the PS review service here
    Is it completely safe to upload it? I mean - it wouldn't mean that it's on the internet so when there are plagiarism checks it would not show up as copied? Does that make sense?

(Original post by Lizzipth_Floyd)
    Is it completely safe to upload it? I mean - it wouldn't mean that it's on the internet so when there are plagiarism checks it would not show up as copied? Does that make sense?
    You'd upload them on a private forum so it won't be flagged up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    You'd upload them on a private forum so it won't be flagged up.
    Ok, thank you. And roughly how many people would have access to it?

ReputationRep:
    How long is this service available for? I'm applying to university this year so this would be really helpful for me

Only the PS helpers and staff. I don't know the number but all the PS helpers are at Uni or beyond (and have been checked to make sure they are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Only the PS helpers and staff. I don't know the number but all the PS helpers are at Uni or beyond (and have been checked to make sure they are).
    Thanks. Will upload mine soon then if that is okay

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Will upload mine soon then if that is okay
    That's fine, but endeavour to write something you're happy with as there is no guarantee that we'll be able to look at it more than once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    How long is this service available for? I'm applying to university this year so this would be really helpful for me
    It should be available in perpetuity. Obviously this is subject to the whims of the TSR admin team and the goodwill and continued participation of the volunteers.

Why is somebody who has not applied to university being touted as a "Clearing and Applications Advisor"? This isn't an attack - I have not paid much attention to TSR developments and am curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    It should be available in perpetuity. Obviously this is subject to the whims of the TSR admin team and the goodwill and continued participation of the volunteers.

Why is somebody who has not applied to university being touted as a "Clearing and Applications Advisor"? This isn't an attack - I have not paid much attention to TSR developments and am curious.
    I have applied to university before, but had to resit a year in school instead due to personal circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sameehaiqbal)
    I have applied to university before, but had to resit a year in school instead due to personal circumstances.
    I see. Well best of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Oh nice, very pleased that this service is back! :borat:

ReputationRep:
    i will have access to it and il use it

ReputationRep:
    I have submitted my own personal statement. Hopefully can reviewed as soon as possible

ReputationRep:
    How long do I have to upload it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    How long do I have to upload it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're applying in this current cycle, you have until probably around mid December to upload it. The service (in previous years anyway) was really busy close to the January deadline so if you really want a review you will need to factor in how busy the reviewers will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)

If you're applying in this current cycle, you have until probably around mid December to upload it. The service (in previous years anyway) was really busy close to the January deadline so if you really want a review you will need to factor in how busy the reviewers will be.
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I think somebody has listed me as "Less than 100 posts" by mistake my profile shows that I have made 124 posts
    Please see the screenshot

Many Thanks
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marion771)
    This has been rectified now

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 15, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.