The Student Room Group

19, (F) Struggling to find love. Is it too late for me?

I really don’t know what to do. It seems like everyone around me has somebody to love. My whole life I’ve felt like a third wheel and I’m always walking alone behind a pair, it’s so depressing. I have really gone out my comfort zone by dressing nicely, doing my hair, trying contacts, going to societies that literally make me feel so nervous I wanna throw up- but I do it all in hopes to find someone. Everyday after lesson I catch up on coursework alone on a table by myself watching others laugh with someone they love around me. It really feels like my heart is torn up. I am so dependent on others- so it’s ironic that I’m the only one without a partner. I fantasise about making him breakfast in the mornings, hugging him and cute dates. Drawing him pictures and love letters. I literally taught myself how to bake so I could do it for the future one I love. I’m a master at baking chocolate chip cookies now. But I end up eating the whole tray to myself because I have no guy to give them to. It’s come to the point where I can’t watch movies or shows that have love in it. I can’t listen to love songs or see others display affection in front of me- or I’ll quite literally break down in tears. It’s really hard. I’m already 19 and I don’t even have close friends let alone a partner. It’s a horrifying thought. I want to marry young and find him soon. I think the reason why no one would like me, is because I’m quite shy and maybe a little bit awkward. I think guys don’t really like me all that much. I’m not much of a ***** either. I’m so tired of feeling like I don’t exist to people (other than family.) I don’t know. Should I stop forcing it to happen by attending societies and events that I don’t like? What should I do? Do I let things happen naturally? But how does that even work? I’m scared, and I’m really stuck… thanks

Scroll to see replies

I totally get where you're coming from I used to feel the same, and had many times where I turned to friends in relationships and they'd usually give me the same classic response: 'It'll happen when you least expect it.' I think you should keep going to these societies and whatnot but also learn to be happy without someone and work on yourself and at some point it'll appear for you, it may not explicitly show itself but keep your head up! You're still young and there's 'plenty of fish in the sea' as they say. Of course there's many many dating apps that you can join up to where you'll surely see plenty of guys throw themselves at you.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
I totally get where you're coming from I used to feel the same, and had many times where I turned to friends in relationships and they'd usually give me the same classic response: 'It'll happen when you least expect it.' I think you should keep going to these societies and whatnot but also learn to be happy without someone and work on yourself and at some point it'll appear for you, it may not explicitly show itself but keep your head up! You're still young and there's 'plenty of fish in the sea' as they say. Of course there's many many dating apps that you can join up to where you'll surely see plenty of guys throw themselves at you.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the response! <3333
What sort of breakfast would you make?
Reply 4
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
What sort of breakfast would you make?

I’ve always thought I’d make like,,.. heart shaped pancakes with chocolate sauce and a love note lmao
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
I really don’t know what to do. It seems like everyone around me has somebody to love. My whole life I’ve felt like a third wheel and I’m always walking alone behind a pair, it’s so depressing. I have really gone out my comfort zone by dressing nicely, doing my hair, trying contacts, going to societies that literally make me feel so nervous I wanna throw up- but I do it all in hopes to find someone. Everyday after lesson I catch up on coursework alone on a table by myself watching others laugh with someone they love around me. It really feels like my heart is torn up. I am so dependent on others- so it’s ironic that I’m the only one without a partner. I fantasise about making him breakfast in the mornings, hugging him and cute dates. Drawing him pictures and love letters. I literally taught myself how to bake so I could do it for the future one I love. I’m a master at baking chocolate chip cookies now. But I end up eating the whole tray to myself because I have no guy to give them to. It’s come to the point where I can’t watch movies or shows that have love in it. I can’t listen to love songs or see others display affection in front of me- or I’ll quite literally break down in tears. It’s really hard. I’m already 19 and I don’t even have close friends let alone a partner. It’s a horrifying thought. I want to marry young and find him soon. I think the reason why no one would like me, is because I’m quite shy and maybe a little bit awkward. I think guys don’t really like me all that much. I’m not much of a ***** either. I’m so tired of feeling like I don’t exist to people (other than family.) I don’t know. Should I stop forcing it to happen by attending societies and events that I don’t like? What should I do? Do I let things happen naturally? But how does that even work? I’m scared, and I’m really stuck… thanks

Aww please dont be so hard on yourself. My daughter did not date anyone until she was 20 and she had to kiss a few frogs first before she found the right guy (shes now 22). So dont just settle for just anyone. She used a dating app, but she was honest though about her likes and dislikes which was D and D, card against humanity, magic the gathering, anime, dystopian films and series, what kind of values she had etc. She had to be happy with herself though being single before she could think about dating, so do things that make you feel happy, and also treat yourself from time to time to make you feel good.
Dont not attend societies and events you dont like and start doing the things you do like. You want to meet people with the similar interests because it gives you a great starting point to talk about. And dont see every guy as a potential 'boyfriend'; make sure you have some friends that are guys because sometimes one of them can turn to something more, and even if it didnt, its given you the confidence to talk to guys and get to know them any way and that will help you on the dating scene.

And no need to marry young either, theres plenty of time for all of that 🙂
I’ve always thought I’d make like,,.. heart shaped pancakes with chocolate sauce and a love note lmao

Is that the sot of breakfast you'd like to make for yourself and eat yourself?

(my questions are heading towards a real humdinger of a bombshell point)
Honey, no. You can't force finding a compatible partner so young. Don't try to force an early arrangement. That's how you end up in an unhappy marriage.

I was actively dating from 14 but didn't meet the woman I wanted to build a life with until 29. I'm in my early 30s and we live together and it is wonderful.
Reply 8
Original post by Ghostlady
Aww please dont be so hard on yourself. My daughter did not date anyone until she was 20 and she had to kiss a few frogs first before she found the right guy (shes now 22). So dont just settle for just anyone. She used a dating app, but she was honest though about her likes and dislikes which was D and D, card against humanity, magic the gathering, anime, dystopian films and series, what kind of values she had etc. She had to be happy with herself though being single before she could think about dating, so do things that make you feel happy, and also treat yourself from time to time to make you feel good.
Dont not attend societies and events you dont like and start doing the things you do like. You want to meet people with the similar interests because it gives you a great starting point to talk about. And dont see every guy as a potential 'boyfriend'; make sure you have some friends that are guys because sometimes one of them can turn to something more, and even if it didnt, its given you the confidence to talk to guys and get to know them any way and that will help you on the dating scene.

And no need to marry young either, theres plenty of time for all of that 🙂

Aww, thank you so much for your response. You gave such solid advice! And congratulations to your daughter! I will definitely keep these things in mind. <3
Reply 9
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Is that the sot of breakfast you'd like to make for yourself and eat yourself?

(my questions are heading towards a real humdinger of a bombshell point)

Yeah, I love pamcake 👍
Reply 10
Original post by 1582
Honey, no. You can't force finding a compatible partner so young. Don't try to force an early arrangement. That's how you end up in an unhappy marriage.

I was actively dating from 14 but didn't meet the woman I wanted to build a life with until 29. I'm in my early 30s and we live together and it is wonderful.

That’s valid! Thank you so much for your reply. And congratulations on you both!
Yeah, I love pamcake 👍

How important is your physical health to you?

First and foremost, don't stress if you've yet to come in contact with the person you're looking for. Everyone's wheel runs differently and your time will come too. You're just 19. So, there's no need to rush. Also, you don't need to attend the events that you find boring.

Marriage is a pretty big deal. You need to find the best possible person for you and that's because you're going to spend your whole life with that person. Give yourself some time and hopefully, everything will fall into its place.

Frankly speaking, the things you are fantasizing about are really cute! ☺️ All I can say is you're wife material for sure. Your future partner will be really lucky to have you in his life because it seems you're a gem.

You can send some cookies for me though. I won't mind tasting them. Lol. 😁

Anyway, what characteristics are a must for your soulmate to have?
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous #3
First and foremost, don't stress if you've yet to come in contact with the person you're looking for. Everyone's wheel runs differently and your time will come too. You're just 19. So, there's no need to rush. Also, you don't need to attend the events that you find boring.

Marriage is a pretty big deal. You need to find the best possible person for you and that's because you're going to spend your whole life with that person. Give yourself some time and hopefully, everything will fall into its place.

Frankly speaking, the things you are fantasizing about are really cute! ☺️ All I can say is you're wife material for sure. Your future partner will be really lucky to have you in his life because it seems you're a gem.

You can send some cookies for me though. I won't mind tasting them. Lol. 😁

Anyway, what characteristics are a must for your soulmate to have?

Thank you so much for your thoughts! It’s very helpful to me so I appreciate that loads. <3
And thank you so much, I really want to be a wifey. So that means a lot to me! I’ll be more than happy to give you some cookies too lmao.
As for characteristics, I would NEED him to be a very cuddly guy lmao (My love language is cuddles and to be close in general) bonuses would be: a fan of video games, very loving, and the kind of guy to go “EXCUSE ME! she asked for pickles!” at the McDonald’s counter because i can’t really speak up for myself… you know…
Pleasure to be able to help! 😊

Yeah, you deserve to be. Thanks for the offer! I was just kidding by the way. 😁

I can't say how romantic you are! 🤭🙌 That guy is really blessed for sure.

So, what else are you looking for in a guy like looks or inner beauty? Do you even mind if there's a slight age difference? Do you intend to be in a relationship at first or just get married straightaway if you find the right guy?
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous #3
Pleasure to be able to help! 😊

Yeah, you deserve to be. Thanks for the offer! I was just kidding by the way. 😁

I can't say how romantic you are! 🤭🙌 That guy is really blessed for sure.

So, what else are you looking for in a guy like looks or inner beauty? Do you even mind if there's a slight age difference? Do you intend to be in a relationship at first or just get married straightaway if you find the right guy?

Haha you’re welcome and thank you!
Honestly in terms of preferences and stuff I’m not too picky! Maybe fluffy brown hair? Huggable frame? Personality is a way bigger thing imo (not to sound cheesy) I like the idea of a guy who can be very loving, comforting and playful, but can also be funny like a best friend. I feel like someone who relates to me is a very good bonus for (E.G isn’t obsessed with drinking or drugs or smoking) it would be cool for him to be a food lover since my love language would be to bake things and make his packed lunches for work lol. As for ages, I would prefer us to be the same age but bonus if he could be 1 year older than me! If I found the right guy, I would like to marry him straight away. However if he thinks it’s too soon, I am completely okay with waiting until he’s ready. (I’d still be calling him my hubby though)
19 years old! You're young and have plenty of time! Don't stress too much about things. What are your hobbies? Any societies related around them that you could join to meet like minded people? Alot of talk about food I observe.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 17
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
19 years old! You're young and have plenty of time! Don't stress too much about things. What are your hobbies? Any societies related around them that you could join to meet like minded people? Alot of talk about food I observe.

Hahaha yeah I get told that 19 is quite young! But I can’t help but feel worried when everyone around me has a partner, some aren’t even that much older than me and are engaged. My hobbies are kinda just drawing, a lot… though I do want to get into baking properly! In my free time I just sit in busy cafe’s in central London and draw in my own comic series’ books and observe things and people around me. I tried to join the pokemon society and the Mario kart society, (those are my interests) but I stopped attending because I still felt like I didn’t fit in, I had a bit of anxiety built up inside still, it just wasn’t very fun for me, I guess. ☹️ that’s why I’m questioning if I should even think about societies still, because maybe they’re not for me?
Reply 18
Hahaha yeah I get told that 19 is quite young! But I can’t help but feel worried when everyone around me has a partner, some aren’t even that much older than me and are engaged. My hobbies are kinda just drawing, a lot… though I do want to get into baking properly! In my free time I just sit in busy cafe’s in central London and draw in my own comic series’ books and observe things and people around me. I tried to join the pokemon society and the Mario kart society, (those are my interests) but I stopped attending because I still felt like I didn’t fit in, I had a bit of anxiety built up inside still, it just wasn’t very fun for me, I guess. ☹️ that’s why I’m questioning if I should even think about societies still, because maybe they’re not for me?

Forgot to mention this, sorry.. but I also used to attend karaoke night at uni! Everyone was nice, but I didn’t really make any friends. I tried my best to join groups and talk with everyone but nothing really clicked. I got a guy asking to buy me a drink and and he said he thinks I’m really sweet, which was very nice, but honestly, everyone’s just too drunk and crazy lmao, and I don’t feel very comfortable since I don’t drink and everyone’s drunk! I then joined a society which is similar to this, a very social one. Again, everyone was all too drunk and crazy, I ended up sitting on a table at the far back alone lmao. They were nice again, and did involve me, but nothing clicked. ( I asked the bartender for tea, and she said they don’t do warm drinks at night, can you believe that?!) so maybe societies aren’t my thing…
Haha you’re welcome and thank you!
Honestly in terms of preferences and stuff I’m not too picky! Maybe fluffy brown hair? Huggable frame? Personality is a way bigger thing imo (not to sound cheesy) I like the idea of a guy who can be very loving, comforting and playful, but can also be funny like a best friend. I feel like someone who relates to me is a very good bonus for (E.G isn’t obsessed with drinking or drugs or smoking) it would be cool for him to be a food lover since my love language would be to bake things and make his packed lunches for work lol. As for ages, I would prefer us to be the same age but bonus if he could be 1 year older than me! If I found the right guy, I would like to marry him straight away. However if he thinks it’s too soon, I am completely okay with waiting until he’s ready. (I’d still be calling him my hubby though)

No worries!

Couldn't agree more with you. Definitely, personality should be one of the most prioritized traits for a person. Look doesn't always make a good human being but a good heart does. That's why you need to be a bit patient to discover the right guy for you who can connect with you most.

Age difference is a pretty big deal to most people which isn't really surprising. There should be a balance in everything. Otherwise, things can fall apart anytime.

It's also fair to notice that you are eager to give your future partner some space to make decisions. That's a sign of a good relationship where both individuals should be valued equally.

NGL you've got most of the qualities I would love to see in my life future partner. I've been looking for a girl who's got such qualities as a person though it's not as easy as we fantasize or dream of.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending