The Student Room Group

BCU course specification terms

I was reading the course specification for Quantity Surveying and I came across 3 terms: scheduled learning, directed learning and private study. I was wondering what the differences are. Thnks

Also I was wondering if the uni hours usually change from year to year or are they the same.
Original post by sua008
I was reading the course specification for Quantity Surveying and I came across 3 terms: scheduled learning, directed learning and private study. I was wondering what the differences are. Thnks

Also I was wondering if the uni hours usually change from year to year or are they the same.

Hi @sua008

I have just had a quick look and I found this information, taken straight from the course specification:

Scheduled Learning includes lectures, practical classes and workshops, contact time specified in timetable

Directed Learning includes placements, work-based learning, external visits, on-line activity, Graduate+, peer learning

Private Study includes preparation for exams

I hope this helps to give you a clearer idea of what those terms mean and involve. At undergrad level, there is a huge responsibility to ensure that you are putting in a lot of time for private study as it is impossible to to cover everything in lectures🙂

As for your timetable, it usually changes slightly every semester. However, the number of days/hours usually stays the same. So if you are in 3 days a week this will usually be the same throughout your degree. If you do have any specific questions about your timetable or just the course in general I would encourage you to attend an open day where you can talk to one of the lecturers who teaches the course!

I believe our next open day will be in March, but you can register your interest here.

I hope this helps!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending