The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oxymoronic
The grade will be given as more of a general, gut feeling about the entire essay rather than giving you ticks then counting them all up at the end or underlining where you've hit a certain assessment objective.

Interesting. I like this in that it naturally makes essays far less contrived, although it could also open up too wide a chance of a mark coming down to little more than whichever marker you happen to get... but I suppose (hope?) quality work will be rewarded in any case. It's the format I was thinking on as well though -- like how long exam essays supposed to be, as a rule, and stuff like that. I'll try to remember to pester my tutor next week.

Have you been giving the marking criteria for your faculty?

For coursework essays, yeah, and I suppose the same scheme will be used for exams.

I'd much prefer it if there were an Oxbridge style system of submitting weekly essays so you can improve plus exams rather than having one essay and one exam making up your entire grade.

My thoughts exactly! I have a friend who's at Cambridge now and - as much as it's overwhelming him - I'm really envious of his workload. Getting continuous feedback like that would be fantastic as a means to improving.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Pedrobear
All of it.

Or at least trying to. But I can assure you that for every one person aiming to do the same there are 10 who don't even know where to find it. I would advise you to maybe wait and see how you do overall in semester 1 and adjust your work habits accordingly, rather than getting all flustered about it now.

me to, how much of you're day is that taking up approx?
how long does it usually take for essays to be returned?
Reply 583
Original post by lizfairy

It depends on the department. Some have specific policies as to how long you'll wait (2-3 weeks, for example). Some will give you them back whenever they feel like it, honestly.

You should have them back before exams start.

A lot of departments have deadlines for all years in the same week then prioritise from forth year backwards (it's the same policy with exams) so first years usually have to wait longer than everyone else.

We can give you these answers, but isn't this stuff you should be asking your tutor/department or checking in the handbook?
thanks... yeah it's not in the handbook and I've been given no definitive answer by my department, so I wondered what others had experienced.
Reply 587
I've just received an offer from Edinburgh Uni and I'm considering this university.

Can somebody tell me more about advantages/drawbacks of the uni and city please?

Thanks
Original post by the_13th

Original post by the_13th
I've just received an offer from Edinburgh Uni and I'm considering this university.

Can somebody tell me more about advantages/drawbacks of the uni and city please?

Thanks

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Edinburgh

There is a link to the applicants chat/discussion thread in my signature (click on applied or thinking of applying to Edinburgh) as this thread is for current students, not applicants :smile: The current students post in the applicant's thread too with help so you'll get answers, but this thread is primarily for current students (and graduates) to discuss things.
Reply 589
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Edinburgh

There is a link to the applicants chat/discussion thread in my signature (click on applied or thinking of applying to Edinburgh) as this thread is for current students, not applicants :smile: The current students post in the applicant's thread too with help so you'll get answers, but this thread is primarily for current students (and graduates) to discuss things.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 590
This is the worst piece of coursework ever... 3000 words in and slowly losing the will to live, 2000 to go!
thanks... yeah it's not in the handbook and I've been given no definitive answer by my department, so I wondered what others had experienced.
Isn't it supposed to be 6 weeks or a week before the exam, whichever is sooner?
Original post by Jillee
This is the worst piece of coursework ever... 3000 words in and slowly losing the will to live, 2000 to go!

:console:
You can do it :smile:.

I wrote three 2000 word essays over the last two weeks so I feel your pain.
If I have no exams, and therefore effectively finish on the 3rd December, I don't have to stick around til the actual end of term, reet? I want to go on holiday.
Reply 594
Original post by dothestrand
If I have no exams, and therefore effectively finish on the 3rd December, I don't have to stick around til the actual end of term, reet? I want to go on holiday.

Nope. If you've got nothing to hand in/no exams, then you can go whenever you like.
Anyone hanging around the library at the moment?
I'm boooooored :biggrin:
Original post by StephenNeill

Original post by StephenNeill
Anyone hanging around the library at the moment?
I'm boooooored :biggrin:

Oh the joys of the library.

I really really miss having a library where I can go to and actually manage to work without hearing some ned tune blaring out from the computers whilst people gather, chat to friends and each lunch for an hour or more.

I've realised that despite my moaning last year, first years at Edinburgh are angels in comparison to some of the final years AND postgraduates at my new university.
Oh dear... DISASTROUS clash next semester... Italian requires you to attend lessons in order to actually gain 15% of the grade; but I will be missing both anthropology lectures (my degree!) and one history of art lecture.
:frown:
This really sucks! For second semester do lecturers still pretty much sum up the whole lecture on webct? I noticed that... and I do read nearly all the texts anyway...

Oh dear... DISASTROUS clash next semester... Italian requires you to attend lessons in order to actually gain 15% of the grade; but I will be missing both anthropology lectures (my degree!) and one history of art lecture.
:frown:
This really sucks! For second semester do lecturers still pretty much sum up the whole lecture on webct? I noticed that... and I do read nearly all the texts anyway...

Um, why were you even allowed to do Italian if it means you miss all of anthropology and your other classes? Surely you saw that coming when you looked at the timetable in the first instance? Even if your DoS didn't? Its as clear as day on timetab... and how come your timetable is so drastically different next semester anyway when Italian is a full year course and anthropology has the same lecture times in both semesters?

You're going to have to talk to your DoS and the department - it can not be expected that you miss every anthropology lecture for a semester just to go to your outside subject. They should never have let you sign up to do Italian in the first place.

Unless you're getting confused with the tutorial slots? Some courses tend to show up all of the tutorials in the week even though you only have to go to one of them.
Um, why were you even allowed to do Italian if it means you miss all of anthropology and your other classes? Surely you saw that coming when you looked at the timetable in the first instance? Even if your DoS didn't? Its as clear as day on timetab... and how come your timetable is so drastically different next semester anyway when Italian is a full year course and anthropology has the same lecture times in both semesters?

You're going to have to talk to your DoS and the department - it can not be expected that you miss every anthropology lecture for a semester just to go to your outside subject. They should never have let you sign up to do Italian in the first place.

Unless you're getting confused with the tutorial slots? Some courses tend to show up all of the tutorials in the week even though you only have to go to one of them.

Nope, slot change and it clashes, I wrote to the course organiser and she said sorry it was set out at the start of the year (even if it wasn't on time tab!)

I'm seeing what I can do about recording lectures, it's really stressing me out! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending