The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Emmie3303
I've come across a journal article that I want to use for an essay but I don't know whether the journal itself is reputable. It's French and it's not in the library's list. Is that simply because it's not in English or should I steer clear if I can't find it through the library? Any advice would be welcome :smile:.

By all means, cite it. If you have some doubts over how reliable the article is, mention this in your essay.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by NeoNerd
By all means, cite it. If you have some doubts over how reliable the article is, mention this in your essay.

Thanks :smile:. I was a little wary because one of the people on my course got marked down for using 'unscholarly' material, despite the fact that everything she used was from the library. I did find it through google scholar though, so it should be okay :grin:.
Bf just suggested Maison Bleue - they have a night on Tuesday where the standard £25 three-course menu is only £15 for students! Want to go, but thinking my student ID won't be enough to get student prices of both of us, disappoint.

Edit: Actually has anyone else seen other resties in Ed with student offers? Would be good to make the most of my four months left of having a valid student ID.
(edited 13 years ago)
:frown: Not feeling in the mood for this history of art essay, but need to start reading. The title is so broad and i don't know whether to get a focus and specify or to just briefly outline all the main points.
Original post by Kater Murr

Original post by Kater Murr
Bf just suggested Maison Bleue - they have a night on Tuesday where the standard £25 three-course menu is only £15 for students! Want to go, but thinking my student ID won't be enough to get student prices of both of us, disappoint.

You can normally use 1 ID for more than one person. I did that when I was in 4th year and my boyfriend wasn't a student... yet still carries around his Oxford card in his wallet as though we're magically going to go back in time by 3 years so he can use it.

Edit: Actually has anyone else seen other resties in Ed with student offers? Would be good to make the most of my four months left of having a valid student ID.

Pretty much everywhere does student discount of some kind... they can't really afford not to as everywhere else does, particularly in the George Square vicinity.
Original post by oxymoronic
You can normally use 1 ID for more than one person. I did that when I was in 4th year and my boyfriend wasn't a student... yet still carries around his Oxford card in his wallet as though we're magically going to go back in time by 3 years so he can use it.

Pretty much everywhere does student discount of some kind... they can't really afford not to as everywhere else does, particularly in the George Square vicinity.

O rly? I've never seen that anywhere in Bristol! Will keep my eyes peeled then.
I'm in the library and very paranoid that someone from here will see me on TSR. :ninja:
Original post by truthandtragedy
I'm in the library and very paranoid that someone from here will see me on TSR. :ninja:

If I were you I'd be more worried about someone seeing you and posting it here.

Would you rather someone posted:

"truthandtragedy - sat somewhere in lib @ edin uni - she can tuck my mic in any day!!"

...or that you were seen on tsr?
Original post by lizfairy
:frown: Not feeling in the mood for this history of art essay, but need to start reading. The title is so broad and i don't know whether to get a focus and specify or to just briefly outline all the main points.

The third option of course is to hide on the 4th floor of the lib and surf TSR until everything somehow works out. :hide:

I secretly wish I was doing History of Art though...
I guess being seen on TSR might be the slightly better option!

Back here again, not sure what's happened to me haha. Friday night in the library, it's all downhill from here..
I was just wondering if any of you (students currently studying at Ed. ) would be kind enough to give me a little tour of the university. We're breaking up on the 18th for a week and since Edinburgh is my 1st choice I wanted to see it from a students perspective rather than a newbie who is applying to uni. I didn't get to attend the Open Days (too far and too much coursework had to be done at the time); I did go for a student guided tour but that didn't really help much, got to see the library and the auditorium. I'd love to see the language school (where I will be spending most of my time), the self-catered accommodation, the places to go and so on.

Thank you in advance, and hopefully this request is not too far fetched :smile:
Original post by exodusforseti
I did go for a student guided tour but that didn't really help much, got to see the library and the auditorium. I'd love to see the language school (where I will be spending most of my time), the self-catered accommodation, the places to go and so on.

You've seen what there is to see. There is no language school - classes take place in rooms and staff work in offices. The language labs are nothing special. You will probably spend a lot of time in first/second year not in university at all, and when you are there it will be in computer labs/the library/classrooms. Self-catered accommodation is all tenanted. Unless you can find someone who will let you in and show you their flat you'll have no luck (and you may as well look at google street view or the photo album in the sticky accommodation thread). The places to go.... Like, you mean Edinburgh? Hardly think someone needs to show you that :wink:
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
You've seen what there is to see. There is no language school - classes take place in rooms and staff work in offices. The language labs are nothing special. You will probably spend a lot of time in first/second year not in university at all, and when you are there it will be in computer labs/the library/classrooms. Self-catered accommodation is all tenanted. Unless you can find someone who will let you in and show you their flat you'll have no luck (and you may as well look at google street view or the photo album in the sticky accommodation thread). The places to go.... Like, you mean Edinburgh? Hardly think someone needs to show you that :wink:

Your sense of humor amazes me.

Thank you for the advice.

Um, I could show you what there is to show... You wouldn't be able to get access to the library without a card but I could take you inside the student union, for a coffee and a nearby cafe' just to get the vibe of the place (very important, sure!).

What subjects have you applied for? The building where the offices are for most languages is a little ugly but gives amazing views over the city/campus. You can go inside and take a look. I guess i could also sneak you in a computer lab but there's not much to see.

Maybe more productive would be to let you see some of the university societies, the more open societies like bedlam theatre perhaps?
Original post by lizfairy
Um, I could show you what there is to show... You wouldn't be able to get access to the library without a card but I could take you inside the student union, for a coffee and a nearby cafe' just to get the vibe of the place (very important, sure!).

What subjects have you applied for? The building where the offices are for most languages is a little ugly but gives amazing views over the city/campus. You can go inside and take a look. I guess i could also sneak you in a computer lab but there's not much to see.

Maybe more productive would be to let you see some of the university societies, the more open societies like bedlam theatre perhaps?

Oh my :redface: That would be amazing! I think it would be easier to talk through this on skype, do you have skype?

I just want to have a better look around. Nothing too weird really. I know Edin' is a fantastic city, I have visited it for about a week or so last summer. But I haven't seen it from a student/resident sort of perspective yet.

Thank you so much for offering !

Thanks, although in that particular post there were no jokes. Sometimes I amaze myself.
Okay, so the rah- girl sitting next to me just finished her session (of facebook and cosmo) on the computer, took out a marker pen, wrote OUT OF ORDER on a blank sheet,and stuck it on the monitor before leaving for lunch with the girlies...

Is that illegal, or just really ****ing clever?
Reply 797
Original post by ipulledhermione
Okay, so the rah- girl sitting next to me just finished her session (of facebook and cosmo) on the computer, took out a marker pen, wrote OUT OF ORDER on a blank sheet,and stuck it on the monitor before leaving for lunch with the girlies...

It's really selfish. I would support any EUSA president that introduced public horse-whippings for hogging computers.

:P
Original post by ipulledhermione

Take it off and make a point of moving on to it.

Take it off and make a point of moving on to it.

I took it off once she was safely out of punching distance...someone else is on now.

Hear hear to public flogging!! (she says whilst sipping tea in teviot with locked comp in the library...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending