The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pedrobear
This!!! Starbucks is brilliant for studying. I love Grindhouse on Nicholson St. for revising as well, it's got a nice ambience (no, I'm not advertising for them). :suith:

I like to try and go as far away from the uni as possible, like falko germany bakery in bruntsfield, centrioli on george street or pattiserie madeleine in stockbridge. There are NO students there during exam period.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by daeonica
I was in starbucks at the weekend with a writer's group, and actually got so much done! I was pleasantly surprised, I think I'll have to try this 'studying away from the flat' more often.

Jea! Starbros :godancing:

Original post by lizfairy
I like to try and go as far away from the uni as possible, like falko germany bakery in bruntsfield, centrioli on george street or pattiserie madeleine in stockbridge. There are NO students there during exam period.

Intruiging... good shout, I'll check these out.

"Bakery" means "cake"... :sexface:
Original post by Pedrobear
Jea! Starbros :godancing:

Intruiging... good shout, I'll check these out.

"Bakery" means "cake"... :sexface:

I'd say the best in town :P
I got most of the key image information from the internet tbh.
I think we're really lucky that we have the key images, last year apparently they didn't! Which scares me... I learn't all the key images, I just need to go through lecture notes after my exam on friday.

My plan-learn all key images (done), study two subjects from each semester in a a little more depth, i.e. wikipedia, going through the lecture notes there are whilst viewing the slides.

I'm concentrating on islamic art and early christian from semester one, netherlandish and renaissance in semester two. I'm pretty much ditching baroque and chinese art, minus the key images.

I think the key images provide a hint as to how the exam will be?

I think I'm going to do that, and just focus on a few topics. I'm planning on doing lots of work for it next week, because I've got a whole week where it's the only thing I'm revising for, so hopefully I'll feel better about it then.
Original post by oxymoronic

Alternatively, go at around 3am and you can have loads of space to yourself :smile:

The resulting prosecution case for trespass might not be worth it though ... the library is currently only open 0730-0200.

oxymoronic

I'm only "TSR famous" in actual Edinburgh to NHI and artorscience? and I don't think they'd class it as that :p:

hahahaha.

Pedrobear
blahblah Grindhouse

Second that - by far and away one of the best coffee shops in the middle of Edinburgh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Done :smile:.

How did everyone find the Roman World exam? I seem to remember lots of people on here did that course.
Only four exams left. This morning's was really easy as well....
Celtic Civ done! Actually managed to write a reasonable amount for the essay questions this time, but whether I wrote anything good or not is another question.
Original post by Emmie3303
Done :smile:.

How did everyone find the Roman World exam? I seem to remember lots of people on here did that course.

I was pretty relieved tbh, I picked A. Juvenal B. The alter of the baker C. The one about deities in the Roman world.

The only iffy one was B as I couldn't remember seeing it, but I could relate it to other tombstones around Isola Sacra and the one in front the Porta maggiore, beside also giving a general run-through of roman society/stratification, referencing petronius. I said it was a freeman in the image and I'm not sure if that was right!

How did you find it and which questions did you choose?
I was pretty relieved tbh, I picked A. Juvenal B. The alter of the baker C. The one about deities in the Roman world.

The only iffy one was B as I couldn't remember seeing it, but I could relate it to other tombstones around Isola Sacra and the one in front the Porta maggiore, beside also giving a general run-through of roman society/stratification, referencing petronius. I said it was a freeman in the image and I'm not sure if that was right!

How did you find it and which questions did you choose?

I did A. The Vindolanda tablets B. The plans of the iron age/Roman town C. The one about expansion ceasing.

I couldn't remember seeing B either! It sounds like you've done it well though. I think you are right about the freedman because of the fact that it showed the profession on the tomb. Did the inscription have libertus (sp?) in it? I didn't really look very closely.

I found it quite good; I didn't run out of things to write like last time! I think I've done well but I'll have to see :smile:.

Have you finished all of your exams yet?
Reply 1190
does anybody else hate the new exam booklets as much as me?

not only are the strips covering the glue a pain to peel off, but the all important Rule 7 has been removed :frown:
Original post by Lu-Tze
but the all important Rule 7 has been removed :frown:

What was Rule 7?
Reply 1192
the one which went something along the lines of

"the invigilators will announce when the exam commences, candidates may begin before this announcement is made"

basically meant that as soon as the paper was in front of you, you could begin

many a valuable extra 5 minutes have been had
Original post by Lu-Tze
the one which went something along the lines of

"the invigilators will announce when the exam commences, candidates may begin before this announcement is made"

basically meant that as soon as the paper was in front of you, you could begin

many a valuable extra 5 minutes have been had

I dun even read the rules, i'm a bad ass me :yep:

then when the exam ends I read them and realise ****! i've done this in pencil and written on both sides of the paper and cussed 4 times and drew a picture of bin laden.
Original post by ipulledhermione
Ii've done this in pencil and written on both sides of the paper and cussed 4 times and drew a picture of bin laden.

Written on both sides?! O_O

Please don't panic me like that! I'm sure I'm allowed to write on both sides.
Original post by Emmie3303
I did A. The Vindolanda tablets B. The plans of the iron age/Roman town C. The one about expansion ceasing.

I couldn't remember seeing B either! It sounds like you've done it well though. I think you are right about the freedman because of the fact that it showed the profession on the tomb. Did the inscription have libertus (sp?) in it? I didn't really look very closely.

I found it quite good; I didn't run out of things to write like last time! I think I've done well but I'll have to see :smile:.

Have you finished all of your exams yet?

I looked hard and didn't seen libertus, but guessed the same anyway. I'm sure they didn't all have to say it, just it would have been reassuring. No, unfortunately I still have two. Italian (which should be fine) and history of art (less fine). A year of study and I feel I learn't more in the last month, studying by myself. The lecture slides are very bare, and whilst I know all the key images and have done quite a few readings, my general contextual knowledge is seriously lacking. I have 6 days to cram.
Original post by daeonica
Written on both sides?! O_O

Please don't panic me like that! I'm sure I'm allowed to write on both sides.

Some are some don't.

My philosophy one said only write on the right side of each page but I looked around the room and no one had given a feck and was writing ferociously on both sides just like me :s-smilie:
Original post by ipulledhermione
Some are some don't.

My philosophy one said only write on the right side of each page but I looked around the room and no one had given a feck and was writing ferociously on both sides just like me :s-smilie:

That seems really strange, that it would say only write on one side. I wonder why?
Reply 1198
all the science and engineering exams are both sides of the paper (im an engineering student)

tbf, it also states that candidates must attempt ALL questions, and oft times i cant
I looked hard and didn't seen libertus, but guessed the same anyway. I'm sure they didn't all have to say it, just it would have been reassuring. No, unfortunately I still have two. Italian (which should be fine) and history of art (less fine). A year of study and I feel I learn't more in the last month, studying by myself. The lecture slides are very bare, and whilst I know all the key images and have done quite a few readings, my general contextual knowledge is seriously lacking. I have 6 days to cram.

Ah okay :smile:. It wasn't on every tomb but it would have been nice of them to include one with it on. Maybe they wanted people to work it out without the most obvious clue being there?

Good luck for your last two. Everyone I've spoke to about history of art is cramming too. It must be really hard! I know what you mean about the studying. The lectures aren't enough for the level of analysis they expect from you. I'm beginning to realise why university is still classed as full time study despite only having 10-12 contact hours a week :o:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending