The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizfairy
when do results usually come through? Also, is it like after semester 1 where you just get the individual grades on myed, or more of an average grade for the year?

First years normally get their results last, towards the end of June. It'll be like semester 1, things just start randomly showing up on MyEd and then you compulsively refresh and lose all form of sanity until everything's come through.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

when do results usually come through? Also, is it like after semester 1 where you just get the individual grades on myed, or more of an average grade for the year?

The only time you'll ever get an "average" is when your degree classification is posted on your school's notice board at the end of 4th year.

Everything on MyEd (including after final year) is literally a course by course break down rather than your overall "mark" for the year. It tells me on MyEd somewhere which classification I was awarded, but you'll never have anything more specific than that although obviously, most people do work out their overall percentage. Your degree certificate literally says the classification so unless you apply for a postgraduate course where a transcript of module marks is required (not all ask for them) no one will ever care or know what your actual degree percentage was on average.
Original post by ssabev
Way cooler than me. I'll be doing an internship here in Edinburgh. Bashing the keyboard away. Hopefully do some travelling around Scotland as well.

Sounds cool, what sort of internship :smile:? Something with computers I'm guessing :p:.
Original post by oxymoronic
Your degree certificate literally says the classification so unless you apply for a postgraduate course where a transcript of module marks is required (not all ask for them) no one will ever care or know what your actual degree percentage was on average.

Although with the way degree classification inflation is going, that will probably change at some point I would imagine.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian

Although with the way degree classification inflation is going, that will probably change at some point I would imagine.

Yeah but we'll be grumpy old graduates with established careers by then so no one will really care what we got once you're onto the job ladder :p:
Maybe it will affect the first years, but that ain't my problem....
Reply 1245
Original post by Emmie3303
Sounds cool, what sort of internship :smile:? Something with computers I'm guessing :p:.

Yep. Web-scraping or to put it simply - stealing information off other web-sites xD Cannot go back to Ukraine/Bulgaria till September, but I might go to Sweden or Ireland. We shall see. Hope it will be nice :smile:
How did your exams go ? We got a bit buggered on one of them as non-examinable stuff suddenly appeared and made up 30% of the exam :biggrin:
Original post by Rainfaery

Thanks, so now is just a waiting game. =)
It better not be bad news though as I will be on a long holiday, and don't really fancy being called back to resit exams.
Original post by dothestrand
I IZ FINISHED. Well, 6 hours ago but the wormhole effect in my kitchen prevented me moving for that long.
Kind of feel a bit sorry for my medic flatmates who still have really hard exams to do but they chose to do it. Mwah ha.

What year medics? :holmes: :colondollar:
Yeah but we'll be grumpy old graduates with established careers

Speak for yourself! :wink:
Original post by ssabev
Yep. Web-scraping or to put it simply - stealing information off other web-sites xD Cannot go back to Ukraine/Bulgaria till September, but I might go to Sweden or Ireland. We shall see. Hope it will be nice :smile:
How did your exams go ? We got a bit buggered on one of them as non-examinable stuff suddenly appeared and made up 30% of the exam :biggrin:

Sounds interesting :smile:. I've always wanted to go to Sweden! My friend's father lives there and she always comes back with loads of stories about the beautiful places she's been to.

My exams were good thanks, I hope. I did loads of revision so hopefully it paid off. That sucks :frown:. I hope the rest went well.
Original post by ipulledhermione
What year medics? :holmes: :colondollar:

First year...why :ninja:
They just finished, came back whooping and the like. Time to finally render my liver useless.

Speak for yourself! :wink:

You're less than a year younger than me!

And I need to pretend that my career is blossoming and established when in reality I still don't have a permanent contract for September. Having hope is the only way you get through this course!
You're less than a year younger than me!

And don't you forget it. That age gap is so huge that if we were in a relationship it would draw gasps due to its inappropriateness. I am sprightly and youthful and DO NOT have any grey hairs. :colondollar:

And I need to pretend that my career is blossoming and established when in reality I still don't have a permanent contract for September. Having hope is the only way you get through this course!

I know. My father is being slow about applying to teaching jobs and I keep having to poke him. His view is that if he doesn't get anything he can do supply work. My view is he won't get his golden hello if he doesn't find a contract. Myself, I'm going on to a further degree of uncertainty and mediocrity. Hurrah.

Went out for dinner with graduating students and all staff from my department. It was nice :smile:
2D Edinburgh

Spoiler

From The Illusionist. Highly recommended.
So, hey, I was just in the box and suggested that an Edinburgh meet could happen, and got a bit of interest from a couple of members. I'm going to ask around the other Edinburgh unis (and other Scottish ones too) if there's enough interest - but would anyone here be up for it? Obviously if it were mainly Scottish university students, it wouldn't happen until next term starts.
Maybe. Although I have to say I don't really know anyone on tsr who is Edinburgh/Scotland based.
Original post by Kater Murr

So, hey, I was just in the box and suggested that an Edinburgh meet could happen, and got a bit of interest from a couple of members. I'm going to ask around the other Edinburgh unis (and other Scottish ones too) if there's enough interest - but would anyone here be up for it? Obviously if it were mainly Scottish university students, it wouldn't happen until next term starts.

Its happened once before in Edinburgh back in 2006 (I didn't go) but to be honest, I don't think there is much real interest or at least, there never has been in the Edinburgh Uni subforum as each year a group of freshers will try and arrange something that materialises into nothing. I was always more than happy to talk to people on here but I didn't actually want to meet people, although that has changed in recent times as I've been to official mod stuff. I wouldn't turn up at this sort of thing even if I did still live in Edinburgh but then that's my personal preference. I'm not sure how many subs who use the backroom are Edinburgh/Glasgow based anyway to actually go, although granted you'll know way better than me as I never go in there :smile:

Also, arranging a "Scotland meet" is fairly difficult - I just can't imagine someone from Aberdeen (not that there are many active people) would want to spend approaching 6 hours travelling just to come and meet a bunch of people from TSR, but then you never know! If you were having a PS help staff meet and wanted it in Scotland then that'd be a different matter given that 3 out of the 6 of us are Aberdeen based and even then we still end up going to London :p:
Its happened once before in Edinburgh back in 2006 (I didn't go) but to be honest, I don't think there is much real interest or at least, there never has been in the Edinburgh Uni subforum as each year a group of freshers will try and arrange something that materialises into nothing. I was always more than happy to talk to people on here but I didn't actually want to meet people, although that has changed in recent times as I've been to official mod stuff. I wouldn't turn up at this sort of thing even if I did still live in Edinburgh but then that's my personal preference. I'm not sure how many subs who use the backroom are Edinburgh/Glasgow based anyway to actually go, although granted you'll know way better than me as I never go in there :smile:

Also, arranging a "Scotland meet" is fairly difficult - I just can't imagine someone from Aberdeen (not that there are many active people) would want to spend approaching 6 hours travelling just to come and meet a bunch of people from TSR, but then you never know! If you were having a PS help staff meet and wanted it in Scotland then that'd be a different matter given that 3 out of the 6 of us are Aberdeen based and even then we still end up going to London :p:

Well, I doubt it would be a huge meet, but including myself there are three subs who are very interested, two or three who seemed interested, and this is just from a shout in the box this afternoon - I reckon between the back room and the threads, I could maybe scrape ten people together; some subs would probably come from the north of England because a) Edinburgh is a city lots of people want to visit anyway and b) not many northern meets seem to happen these days.

I reckon this could be a (small) success :colone:

Well, I doubt it would be a huge meet, but including myself there are three subs who are very interested, two or three who seemed interested, and this is just from a shout in the box this afternoon - I reckon between the back room and the threads, I could maybe scrape ten people together; some subs would probably come from the north of England because a) Edinburgh is a city lots of people want to visit anyway and b) not many northern meets seem to happen these days.

I reckon this could be a (small) success :colone:

I'm not saying it won't be, more that when first years have tried to arrange an Edinburgh Uni meet before its always fallen flat on its face so I was pointing that out, although if its more of a sub meet than a uni meet then that might be different as it'll be different people involved. Presumably you'd be wanting to make it a weekend affair then? I know Edinburgh is great but I wouldn't travel for hours to get there and back in a day by choice!
>meeting people from Edin thread
mibbe

>meeting people from the Back Room

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending