The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know a place to get a cheap haircut? I'm looking for about £12 or under. I'm not terribly fussed about my hair, so I don't want a proper salon or anything.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Rainfaery
Does anyone know a place to get a cheap haircut? I'm looking for about £12 or under. I'm not terribly fussed about my hair, so I don't want a proper salon or anything.

That's dangerously cheap. A good price for a hair cut is around £20 really.

But there's an iffy place just off St. Patrick's Square (roughly opposite the bargain store) that does girls cuts for around £10 (although a friend who went there had to hide her hair for a month after)

Or there's Snip&Sip next to the Forest Cafe which is cheap (not actually been and looked at the prices... for all I know it could be gone by now) where you and the person cutting your hair do a vodka shot first. If you do go there, do report back as to how it went... :tongue:
artorscience?
That's dangerously cheap. A good price for a hair cut is around £20 really.

But there's an iffy place just off St. Patrick's Square (roughly opposite the bargain store) that does girls cuts for around £10 (although a friend who went there had to hide her hair for a month after)

Or there's Snip&Sip next to the Forest Cafe which is cheap (not actually been and looked at the prices... for all I know it could be gone by now) where you and the person cutting your hair do a vodka shot first. If you do go there, do report back as to how it went... :tongue:

Really? I always got my hair cut in the US for about $13 (or about £6) so I guess I thought it'd be a bit more here, but not that much.

How bad would it be to get a £10 hair cut?
Rainfaery
Really? I always got my hair cut in the US for about $13 (or about £6) so I guess I thought it'd be a bit more here, but not that much.

How bad would it be to get a £10 hair cut?

Edinburgh is an expensive place for getting your hair cut - as has been said, here you're looking at around £20 (if you've got a snapfax that is as then you can get discounts off in loads of places... if you don't yet have a snapfax it'll be worth investing the £3 for a hairdressers visit) but where I live at home I pay £10, so I've always structured my hair cutting adventures around going home.

I think you said you're staying down Leith Walk, no? As you'll find cheaper places towards Leith than in the central/student areas because in general (god this sounds awful, I don't mean it like that) people (as in, normal people not students) who have less money live there and Edinburgh students unfortunately tend to be fairly affluent so even in the student areas its fairly expensive. Leith should therefore be cheaper, and as its outside of the main city centre rent isn't as high which cuts costs too. I've never known anyone (ie: flatmates and stuff) to pay anything less than £20 in Edinburgh... I had mine done once here for an interview and it didn't look any different to how it looks at home for £10 so its literally just that they're expensive here, not that you get anything special for your money!
oxymoronic
As you'll find cheaper places towards Leith than in the central/student areas because in general (god this sounds awful, I don't mean it like that) people (as in, normal people not students) who have less money live there and Edinburgh students unfortunately tend to be fairly affluent so even in the student areas its fairly expensive. Leith should therefore be cheaper, and as its outside of the main city centre rent isn't as high which cuts costs too.

Leith is only marginally cheaper, I think. It still has the old buildings and the history as it were. To an extent I think some of the bad reputation is put around by English students. If you want cheaper, rougher areas of Edinburgh then there are plenty. Granton *shudders* for example.
nearlyheadlessian
Leith is only marginally cheaper, I think. It still has the old buildings and the history as it were. To an extent I think some of the bad reputation is put around by English students. If you want cheaper, rougher areas of Edinburgh then there are plenty. Granton *shudders* for example.

To be honest, rent in Leith is quite a lot cheaper than in the city centre. Food is rather cheaper as well (in restaurants, etc). However, I do find it to be quite a nice area, not really worthy of the bad reputation that it's got. Sure, there are couple of rough areas near the council flats, but for the most part it's well nice. :smile:

oxymoronic
Edinburgh is an expensive place for getting your hair cut - as has been said, here you're looking at around £20 (if you've got a snapfax that is as then you can get discounts off in loads of places... if you don't yet have a snapfax it'll be worth investing the £3 for a hairdressers visit) but where I live at home I pay £10, so I've always structured my hair cutting adventures around going home.

I think you said you're staying down Leith Walk, no? As you'll find cheaper places towards Leith than in the central/student areas because in general (god this sounds awful, I don't mean it like that) people (as in, normal people not students) who have less money live there and Edinburgh students unfortunately tend to be fairly affluent so even in the student areas its fairly expensive. Leith should therefore be cheaper, and as its outside of the main city centre rent isn't as high which cuts costs too. I've never known anyone (ie: flatmates and stuff) to pay anything less than £20 in Edinburgh... I had mine done once here for an interview and it didn't look any different to how it looks at home for £10 so its literally just that they're expensive here, not that you get anything special for your money!

Thanks for the tips. :smile: I have a look round Leith one day when I'm walking home, and see what I can see for haircuts.

I guess I'm still a bit shocked by how much more expensive things are here.
Rainfaery
To be honest, rent in Leith is quite a lot cheaper than in the city centre. Food is rather cheaper as well (in restaurants, etc).

That's a soso comparison (and it depends to some extent on the size of flat or house you want). Anecdotally, when I've looked at flats (generally two bedrooms) around Edinburgh on sites like lettingweb, pricing is pretty similar between areas like Leith and Newington. Sometimes you might end up spending a little more, but in my case I'd be happy to pay extra to live in the middle town because I am chronically lazy and would never go to the university if I lived as far away as Leith. But woo for cheap take away food :smile:
nearlyheadlessian
That's a soso comparison (and it depends to some extent on the size of flat or house you want). Anecdotally, when I've looked at flats (generally two bedrooms) around Edinburgh on sites like lettingweb, pricing is pretty similar between areas like Leith and Newington. Sometimes you might end up spending a little more, but in my case I'd be happy to pay extra to live in the middle town because I am chronically lazy and would never go to the university if I lived as far away as Leith. But woo for cheap take away food :smile:

Heh, sometimes I really do wish I didn't live so far away. It is a pain to have to leave more my flat an hour before lectures start. I do <3 the cheap takeaway though. :p:
nearlyheadlessian

I wasn't saying that I think Leith is a bad/rough area without history and nice stuff... I was just saying I think it'll be cheaper than in the main city, as, well, its not central!

I live 5 minutes walk from George Square and sometimes can't be bothered going to the library as its "too far" ... thats bad!!!
Rainfaery

I guess I'm still a bit shocked by how much more expensive things are here.

I find Edinburgh an expensive city in terms of how much it costs for living - rent, going out (ie: alcohol) and just general stuff such as the hairdressers are much more expensive than where I'm from at home (and old mining town near Sheffield). When I first moved here I couldn't believe that it was possible to pay more than £2 for a pint in a pub as at home everywhere was less than that, then I got to Edinburgh and it was more around £2-2.50.
Reply 150
Stupid question, are the little libraries in DHT open over the weekend?
Absurd
Stupid question, are the little libraries in DHT open over the weekend?

I'm guessing not. According to this, DHT is closed at the weekend.
Reply 152
nearlyheadlessian
I'm guessing not. According to this, DHT is closed at the weekend.

Thought as much. It's a shame though, they're nice and quiet and there are far fewer distractions than in the main library.
Absurd
Thought as much. It's a shame though, they're nice and quiet and there are far fewer distractions than in the main library.

are you not in Russia this year? or are you only 2nd year now and I'm confused?

New College library is open at the weekends (well, saturday until 5) and is my new favourite place as its pretty... the law library in Old College is good for working in too.

The main library is annoying because you go to look for a book then meet loads of people you know in the process and end up in the cafe. Although - the 3rd floor is where its at, I hate the lower ones :smile:
oxymoronic
Although - the 3rd floor is where its at, I hate the lower ones :smile:

The 3rd floor is good for working in because it's reasonably quiet and you actually have easy access to books. In terms of niceness, the refurbished ground floor and the fifth floor are best.
I still haven't been in the main library. I keep meaning to go, just to see what it's like, but I'm definitely lazy. :p:
Reply 156
oxymoronic
are you not in Russia this year? or are you only 2nd year now and I'm confused?

New College library is open at the weekends (well, saturday until 5) and is my new favourite place as its pretty... the law library in Old College is good for working in too.

The main library is annoying because you go to look for a book then meet loads of people you know in the process and end up in the cafe. Although - the 3rd floor is where its at, I hate the lower ones :smile:

Nope not yet, next year.

Where/what is New College? I should probably know that... The only library I've been to in Old College is the Playfair Library but I don't know if that's even a proper library? I have to go to the law library soon, some books I need for my essay are there.

I like the fourth floor, but only because it usually has all the books I need (as well as the HUB, of course). Ground and fifth floors are the nicest. And DHT libraries are good because they're quiet and have nice views. My one does, anyway.
Absurd
Nope not yet, next year.

Where/what is New College? I should probably know that... The only library I've been to in Old College is the Playfair Library but I don't know if that's even a proper library? I have to go to the law library soon, some books I need for my essay are there.

I like the fourth floor, but only because it usually has all the books I need (as well as the HUB, of course). Ground and fifth floors are the nicest. And DHT libraries are good because they're quiet and have nice views. My one does, anyway.

New College is the school of divinity/religious studies, its on the Mound... where the junction is where you can either go right into Market Street, or carry on along the Mound past the museum, its sort of to your left as if you were walking up to the castle... its really really pretty as its in an old church so there are stained glass windows etc... and makes me feel intelligent when I work in there because its all so old.

I don't know where the Playfair library is, I just know the name as exams are in something called that sometimes. The law library is cool, again its an intelligent feeling library whereas I don't feel clever in the main one, I feel stressed (in exams) as there are so many other people in there doing work.

Not been to the 5th floor yet... I've heard good things but I've not got any reason to go there so don't :smile:

Also, does anyone know if you can top up your printing credit online with a card, or does it have to be with cash in the machines? As I never have change and have resorted to logging into my flatmates account whenever I need to print and I now owe her a lot of money.
oxymoronic
Also, does anyone know if you can top up your printing credit online with a card, or does it have to be with cash in the machines? As I never have change and have resorted to logging into my flatmates account whenever I need to print and I now owe her a lot of money.

Not at the moment. According to the print credit channel on MyEd it's "coming soon". Officially there was supposed to be a test run of it last year, but I don't remember whether it ever happened. Back in the summer of 2008 I took part in a one hour trial to test the printing channel. So it exists somewhere out there, just not fully functional as yet.
nearlyheadlessian
Not at the moment. According to the print credit channel on MyEd it's "coming soon". Officially there was supposed to be a test run of it last year, but I don't remember whether it ever happened. Back in the summer of 2008 I took part in a one hour trial to test the printing channel. So it exists somewhere out there, just not fully functional as yet.

I'll be a lovely old graduate by the time it probably happens then!

It seems you no longer get a free quota at the start of the academic year, as I didn't get anything this year whereas I'm sure we used to get something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending